mnml newbie

Monitors for Around a Grand?

Post by someonelikeyou »

Any recommendations?
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

You can get some sick monitors and have change from 500 quid.
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

adam a7s,
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:You can get some sick monitors and have change from 500 quid.
Agreed, get the sick monitors bro! :D

I just picked up the Yamaha hs80's.

Best recommendation derived from this forum is to go to the store and try them out.

Probably want to check out: Adam, Mackie, Rockit and Yamaha. Compare and contrast.

With that extra money... you want to spend it on monitor stands and sound treatment(traps and sound absorption). Good monitors won't give you good sound alone, you need proper installation and setup.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

hydrogen wrote:
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:You can get some sick monitors and have change from 500 quid.

Best recommendation derived from this forum is to go to the store and try them out.

Probably want to check out: Adam, Mackie, Rockit and Yamaha. Compare and contrast.

With that extra money... you want to spend it on monitor stands and sound treatment(traps and sound absorption). Good monitors won't give you good sound alone, you need proper installation and setup.
+1

I agree with everything but traps and treatment, all the acoustical engineers I have talked to say that there is no real cheap treatment under a few grand to do to a room thats even worth it or very effective. find the best room you can and wait to invest in acoustical treatment, and its a big one.
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

hydrogen wrote:

Ive got those puppies too, absolutely brilliant.

But do go to a shop and listen.
prussell
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by prussell »

personally audition KRK/Rockit, Event, Adam, Genelec, Yamaha, and Mackie.

use one of your own reference CDs.
you'll definitely find something good for that price....
NewSc2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NewSc2 »

livecollective wrote:
hydrogen wrote:
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote: With that extra money... you want to spend it on monitor stands and sound treatment(traps and sound absorption). Good monitors won't give you good sound alone, you need proper installation and setup.
+1

I agree with everything but traps and treatment, all the acoustical engineers I have talked to say that there is no real cheap treatment under a few grand to do to a room thats even worth it or very effective. find the best room you can and wait to invest in acoustical treatment, and its a big one.
I dunno... I invested about $300 to install semi-DIY bass traps in the corners of my room—floor to ceiling—and it's made a huge difference. I'm planning on putting in a few more on the ceiling corners and back wall now. There are lots of resources and tests done that show good improvement from 4" bass traps.