Moving forward

- ask away
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Moving forward

Post by Atheory »

whats the most forward thinking piece of music you heard this year, in terms of production or otherwise?

i'm gonna go off and think for a while about it.
upekah
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Moving forward

Post by upekah »

Atheory wrote:whats the most forward thinking piece of music you heard this year, in terms of production or otherwise?

i'm gonna go off and think for a while about it.
Mark Henning - S'all Good / Biggity Giggity

when it comes down to more "older" stuff ... Wisp - The Shimmering Hour on Rephlex sounds fucking sick! really aphex-ish

and the melody of "Nothing more than a White Poison" drives me nuts everytime!
plaster wrote:you can't be a leader if are a follower.
Brankis
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Brankis »

bruno pronsato, make up break up. end of story
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Home and Garden - Domesticated feat. Derrick Carter (Pezzner remix)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r3XmlZ05HU
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i've been think of something to write for about half an hour now. i write something then delete it and start thinking about sh!t then write and delete.

people tell me i should listen to this innovative new music but it just doesn't do much for me. i've always had an interest in forward thinking music but now i need a different direction. over the last year i haven't had much interest in looking for new music because there is nothing out there that makes me think "wow thats some amazing sh!t". i get more excited listening to disco music form the 1970's than i do listening to UK funky or dubstep.

is funky repetitive groove music still innovative?
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

@tone

yeah, with you totally. i can't actually think of anything i'd put up there.
was kind of hoping i'd get hit with a load of stuff that would make me feel like i'd wasted a year chasing the wrong records.

theres loads of funky or dubstep i like a lot but, without trying to sound like a c*nt, i don't really believe in it. new mount kimbie is good, but i don't think i care that much. is this what happens when your late twenties start closing in?

maybe one mix cd i heard of some new juke music. but i don't actually know if everyone would call it innovative. pretty wild stuff to me though.
http://www.electrobounce.com/component/ ... /catid,16/

i don't see why funky repetative groove music can't still be innovative though. its not like theres a set amount of ideas that got used up.
Brankis
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Brankis »

tone-def wrote: is funky repetitive groove music still innovative?
it's still good
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

I'm with the oldies here. I find my attention span for the cool new sounds pretty limited. Not much in techno really surprises me any more.
I think if you want some music to meditate on and draw some creative inspiration from, then you should look to some different styles:

The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
... or some Frank Zappa and stuff like that.

Check out the production and mixing on Mansun (90s pop-rock). Or I was recently quite enjoying - Midnight Juggernauts from Australia.

I have to say I find a lot of what people are doing in dubstep and techno these days is really quite anal and wanky. Sounds like VSTs and DSP - doesn't sound like a vision being realised musically.