New York

- open
tomb
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

New York

Post by tomb »

Guys I'm looking a little info on clubbing in New York here as I'll be moving there from Ireland in a month or so, any info on clubs or good websites/messageboards to look up would be great (apart for the obvious RA etc).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
tomb
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by tomb »

If you could point me in the direction of some good record stores it would be great also!
ostrich
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ostrich »

Msg board - www.rhythmism.com
Best events in NYC - www.blkmarketmembership.com
Record store - www.halcyonline.com
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

rhythmism blows. you have to sift through tons of bullshit and the party promotion on there is a joke. just use resident advisor.

a little biased to say blk.market throws the best parties when you're taimur's brother, no? i'd say bunker is the best because i help with that, but i think all the main promoters equally throw exceptionally parties with very different aesthetics and lineups. bunker, blk.market, resolute and the occasional one off are all things to keep an eye out for.

as for record store, what are you looking for? halcyon is a lot of new releases from all styles, but diggers and heads hang out at dopejams. there's also a couple places like the thing in greenpoint that you can spend literally days in digging through used bins, as well as a couple other places like record collector and academy.

any other questions, just holler.
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
tomb
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by tomb »

That's cool, will check those sites out to see if they suit man. I'm also aware of The Bunker (Brooklyn?) via the podcast, looks to have some really nice lineups. Any other venues/parties I should look out for (Save the Cannibals caught my eye)? There's quite a small scene over here so it's easy to keep track of what's going on, but there seems to be so much going on and I wouldn't like to miss out (suppose RA is best for this?)

I'd actually be looking for a mixture of stuff from the stores, Halcyon sounds good for the new stuff but I'd be looking for somewhere where I can find some old house records, where would suit?

Thanks btw
miniKAT
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miniKAT »

I hear East new york and Brownsville are the new hotspots.

Get at me and we'll take a ride, it'll be a night u'll never forget.

U like ur women thick?

Edit: Save the cannibals went to the grave I believe
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

save the cannibals is "out to lunch" for a while. rumour is it'll be fired back up after they complete electric zoo over labour day weekend.

for old house you HAVE to go to dopejams. they have some of the most insane and hard to find stuff there, all in pristine condition.

other parties to check? den of thieves on third thursdays, less at bar13 on thursdays, house-n-home (bunker side project) once a month, and there's a few others that pop up periodically. just going out and chatting with people will yield a lot of good info. when you get to town shoot me a message and we can get a beer and shoot the sh!t.

speaking of...when do you arrive?

doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
tomb
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by tomb »

That lineup is exactly what I'd love, will check out House N Home! Dopejams sounds great too.

Shall arrive around the 7th of September (missing out on Electric Zoo by a couple of days, which I'm quite annoyed about), but I'm sure I can make up for it.

That sounds great man, greatly appreciate the advice :)

btw miniKAT I love thick women