Any acoustic implications with this setup???

- ask away
tommy_fretwell
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Any acoustic implications with this setup???

Post by tommy_fretwell »

I'm arranging my setup to be more user friendly.

Basically I have a shelf at ear height in which Im proposing to sit my monitors on. Due to the depth of the shelf being too shallow, when I turn the monitor so that the tweeter is facing me, theres a portion of the monitor base that over hangs off the self therefore not on any surface...this may sound a stupid question but is this detremental to the sound?

Also there is no gap between the back of the monitor and the back wall, again will there be any implications sonically as there is no room behind for reflections?
kylemcsparron
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kylemcsparron »

Dont exactly know what you mean by hanging off, but not being on a surface wont change the sound, in an ideal world speakers would probably levitate to avoid sound travelling via vibrations.

It doesn't matter about the area behind the monitor as the sound is being projected forward.

To be honest there is proabably alot more sonically wrong with the room your in unless its been specifically treated or designed that will affect the sound more than these things.

Sound on Sound do a studio SOS every month where they go to someones music making area and sort it out and have lots of tips on how to sort things out often on a budget.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Any acoustic implications with this setup???

Post by Stomper »

tommy_fretwell wrote:I'm arranging my setup to be more user friendly.

Basically I have a shelf at ear height in which Im proposing to sit my monitors on. Due to the depth of the shelf being too shallow, when I turn the monitor so that the tweeter is facing me, theres a portion of the monitor base that over hangs off the self therefore not on any surface...this may sound a stupid question but is this detremental to the sound?

Also there is no gap between the back of the monitor and the back wall, again will there be any implications sonically as there is no room behind for reflections?
Im not sure how its called, but theres a round hole for the bass in every monitor. if its on the back, than it is recommanded to put it 10-13 centimeters from the wall.

BUT leave the guidelines alone, try it. if its sound good than keep it. if its not, look for a another place.
MagpieIndustries
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MagpieIndustries »

having the speakers up against the wall will boost the bass by a noticable amount.
also, having the shelf at ear height isn't ideal, in an idea situation the tweeters should be at ear level, but i doubt this is much of an issue compared to the lack of distance behind the monitors. Do not have the monitors on their sides..
go through the Sound on Sound back issues and read all the studio improvement articles, there's loads of great advice in there.
Caeraphym
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Caeraphym »

That's a far from ideal way to set up your monitors matey.

Golden rules of thumb is that they want to be away from walls to atleast the recommended distance to allow them to 'breathe', and to get a true bass response keep them away from corners which will add +3db.

Decoupling your monitors from the surface they're on is also worth while, because to a certain extent your shelf will be acting as a soundboard similar to the top of an acoustic guitar.

Previous poster was correct in saying to place them with the tweeters at ear level, and then they should preferably be in a sort of equalateral triangle with your head being the third point. Although this can change according to the particular monitors you are using and even your particular application.

Once you've got them positioned correctly it's time to start thinking seriously about accoustically treating your room/space to deal with any reflections of higher freqs and standing waves with the lower freqs. There are plenty of indepth guides to achieve a reasonable acoustic room treatment for relatively little outlay using simple, everyday materials. Sound On Sound have some good advice here, as do millions of others via the wonders of Google.

Oh, and Stomper: those sometimes round holes, other times oblong, sometimes found at the back, other times at the front are called 'ports' :lol:

Oh, and first post: Hello!