RSS feed?

- open
deysun
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

RSS feed?

Post by deysun »

It would be great to implement RSS feed at this phpBB for easier following specific subforums... admins? (;
picklemonkey
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by picklemonkey »

Sorry to bump this but I'd love to see this too! I usually lurk once a month, but would love to be able to subscribe to some forums so I can stay current with the site.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

will not happen :D
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

Themis wrote:will not happen :D
it's black and white around here ; were not trying to be like those other guys..

:P
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

being able to embed youtube videos would be great though. is that easily done?
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

::BLM:: wrote:being able to embed youtube videos would be great though. is that easily done?
it requires a complete upgrade to what we have...
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

I have some experience with phpbb, Upgrading its actually not that hard to do. It takes a bit of time and effort but that is all. Phpbb is a very well designed application. They make migration from one version to the next relatively easy. Even someone with little experience and even less web design skills can do it.

Few things you need do though...

1. a) Backup your database
1. b) Backup your htdocs directory (public html files)

You can use a variety of tools to accomplish this. Most webspace providers offer phpmyadmin. This lets you backup your database using a easy web interface. The other alternative is to use MySQL's GUI tools. I suggest using the older versions, like MySQL Administrator not the new workbench. Its kind of cumbersome and can be confusing at first.

2. Just follow the instructions

http://www.phpbb.com/support/documents. ... =3#convert

The process is more or less automated. As long as you have your original databases and files backed up there is no risk in upgrading. They suggest (or maybe its mandatory) that you set things up in a different directory from the one your phpbb2 was in. mnml is set up good for that because things are installed to the phpbb2 directory. As long as you do not overwrite your original directory you should be good to install and mess around until you get it sorted out in the proper directory.

Upgrading would allow all kinds of nice stuff, especially soundcloud and youtube typo stuff. The only tools you need are listed above and a good ftp program. Filezilla is decent and free so you could use that. I have installed phpbb's using it before and had no problems.

Personally, I think it would be nice to have those kinds of things embedded into the forum. Its like... here, I want to you hear this... now you are listening! If you guys want some help I will do a trial run on my own webspace and write you step by step instructions but only if you are serious cause that would take a bunch of work for me... downloading... installing.. and so on. If unforeseen problems crop I don't want to be to blame though :D such is the web in my experience as a web designer!

EDIT: I wrote this assuming you are using MySql... most common with phpbb
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

Just thought I might add this...

All of the actual post and forum structure is stored in the database so it is the most important thing to backup. The rest is just a frame to hold all the content.

If you do try anything just make sure to backup the database cause even if something goes wrong you can always install the phpbb2 application again... the content not so much.