What does chin stroking mean to you?

- open
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

What does chin stroking mean to you?

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

I hear this term used a lot and very often with different connotations.

I would just like to know... What does chin stroking mean to you?

Furthermore... How do you view chin strokers?
suli.belarto
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by suli.belarto »

this questions definitely strokes the chin :|
miniKAT
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miniKAT »

I think chin strokers have no place in this society.

Let them stoke their chins somewhere else, I say.

Cause thats how it starts, first the chin, then god knows what else...

Think of the children
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: What does chin stroking mean to you?

Post by damagedgoods »

Shepherd_of_Anu wrote:I hear this term used a lot and very often with different connotations.

i've always understood "chinstrokers" to be the beardy types who take music very, very seriously (possibly too seriously, although not necessarily). expanding on the cliché, i guess in my mind they're usually at least somewhat snobbish about more mainstream subgenres of whatever broad genre of music they're into, are into IDM to at least some extent, know at least 30% of the tunes played at any given clubnight they attend, own a UR (or basic channel or warp) t-shirt, take fewer drugs than they used to, think clubbing's not what it used to be, etc etc.

by this definition - i think "chinstroking" is an important part of any music scene and it's good to have at least a few music geeks in any audience. but they tend not to dance as hard as your average punter and it's equally important to have some people in the crowd who don't really give a sh!t as long as your sounds please their ears. in other words, chinstroking preserves quality control but doesn't necessarily contribute much to the party atmosphere...
o b j e k t

www.keinobjekt.de
Rochey
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Rochey »

I love a chinstroker you get them dancing you know you're good!!!
Here for a Good Time, Not a Long Time!

http://www.louchemusic.com
miniKAT
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miniKAT »

damagedgoods wrote:
Shepherd_of_Anu wrote:I hear this term used a lot and very often with different connotations.

i've always understood "chinstrokers" to be the beardy types who take music very, very seriously (possibly too seriously, although not necessarily). expanding on the cliché, i guess in my mind they're usually at least somewhat snobbish about more mainstream subgenres of whatever broad genre of music they're into, are into IDM to at least some extent, know at least 30% of the tunes played at any given clubnight they attend, own a UR (or basic channel or warp) t-shirt, take fewer drugs than they used to, think clubbing's not what it used to be, etc etc.

by this definition - i think "chinstroking" is an important part of any music scene and it's good to have at least a few music geeks in any audience. but they tend not to dance as hard as your average punter and it's equally important to have some people in the crowd who don't really give a sht as long as your sounds please their ears. in other words, chinstroking preserves quality control but doesn't necessarily contribute much to the party atmosphere...
on a serious note...well said...those are the strokers, though I would think a stroker is one who makes music himself, not just watches from the sidelines, hence the extensive knowledge, no?
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

miniKAT wrote:
damagedgoods wrote:

by this definition - i think "chinstroking" is an important part of any music scene and it's good to have at least a few music geeks in any audience. but they tend not to dance as hard as your average punter and it's equally important to have some people in the crowd who don't really give a sht as long as your sounds please their ears. in other words, chinstroking preserves quality control but doesn't necessarily contribute much to the party atmosphere...
on a serious note...well said...those are the strokers, though I would think a stroker is one who makes music himself, not just watches from the sidelines, hence the extensive knowledge, no?
not so. the chin-stroker usually extolls wisdom but rarely demonstrates that wisdom in a practical manner (due to inability to do so). if he actually DID, rather than chin-stroked he would be an artist, producer, doer... , therefore not a chin-stroker. hehe
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

miniKAT wrote:
damagedgoods wrote:

not necessarily, though i guess it depends on exactly how you define the term. i think some people see it as having slightly derogatory connotations - anorak rather than aficionado, snob rather than trendsetter, etc - and would side with clubfoot. personally, i wouldn't want to get too caught up in the specifics; i mean it's obvious from the name that whoever came up with "the chinstroker brigade" was taking the piss anyway!

anyway, i'd rather be a chinstroker than the gurning wreck in the D&G tshirt and sunglasses at 4am getting all excited about claude vonstroke.
o b j e k t

www.keinobjekt.de