Really stuck

- ask away
wokends
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Really stuck

Post by wokends »

Hi to all... well, im a pretty not-active member of this forum, i love read all the threads, specially in the producing section, and now, i have a little big issue... IM FK1N STUCK !! :(
I was trying to made some music, but i can't get an entire track. (yep, i used the search function, but this is something diferent :P)
I dont know the most common elements/template that should be used in a techno/minimalist song. Every song that i start it sounds too overloaded or very poor, i just cant get the middle point.
I dont really know how to improve, im trying to advance for a lot of time, but i dont have any result.
I was thinking in make some thing similar to the "MNML Collaboration Thread
" but using an .als file, to make a "Basic Template" song. But i dont really know how much people would be interested in contribute.
Anyone have suggestions?
(i readed the templates threads, but when i try to make something of what i read it sounds like sht)
Thanks in advance :)
and sorry for my really bad english
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

how long have you been trying to write mate ?

i know i always say this, but be patient, take your time, absorb everything you can.

i think it was two years after starting before i had a tune which i was willing to let someone else hear, and i was already an instrumental musician to start with.

theres a lot to learn, dont expect instant results.

dont even think about writing a whole tune till you can get some simple loops together which you're totally into, then move on to the next stage.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

why not just make a plan for it in your head?

like, split it up into 3 or 4 rough parts and how you would like it to sound.

say, part 1 =melody and bass, effects
part 2 = part 1 + percussion
part 3 = percussion only
part 4 = part 2 +change the melody a bit, add something more.

and then just edit it up with envelopes and put things in and out of it so the lines between the 4 parts become more blurred.

**disclaimer** i've never done this, so i dont know if it would work.
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

Try producing less and listening more.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:Try producing less and listening more.
Great advice.

I have now reduced my time in the studio to once a week. The rest of the time, I just spend listening to lots of different types of music.
upekah
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by upekah »

::BLM:: wrote:
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:Try producing less and listening more.
Great advice.

I have now reduced my time in the studio to once a week. The rest of the time, I just spend listening to lots of different types of music.
I also do this... I realized that I am able to kinda reproduce some sounds in my head when I hear them.. and then I can analyze how different elements work together
plaster wrote:you can't be a leader if are a follower.
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JonasEdenbrandt »

Don't just listen to music try to realize what instruments are playing when and write this down. Train your ears so you can hear fx and subtle changes in timbre. Use what you pick up to create something of you'r own.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

you know i also think there's nothing like just getting in amongst it, and trying things out.

its all good advice here, but you've just got to find your own way in the end,

good luck mate :)