What synths allow you to tune outside of 12TET?

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

What synths allow you to tune outside of 12TET?

Post by AK »

This has been puzzling me and I can't work it out, I would imagine it's reasonable to assume some software synths have the ability to do this but does anyone know of any?

I know I can't do it with my existing hardware so thought there might be a 'soft' solution. I have some stuff with a 'KB' knob - which essentially tracks pitch to the keyboard range but since the highest value is 127, you couldn't even halve that for 32TET as it doesn't go decimal.

There's a few tuning systems I'd like to try but I am stuck as to how to go about it.

Cheers.
4am
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 4am »

hmm... not 100% sure i'm getting you right,

but detuning the pitch of a synth necessary in case you would play toghether with e.g. a piano that is not perfectly in tune, or some other instrument that for some reason can't go in tune.

if you mean tuning as "non tempered" scale it should be to allow to play music written for other music like previous to this scaling or coming from another continent (asian or arabian that use other intervals).

did you intend this?

cheers

am
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Yeah 12TET as in, twelve tone equal temperament. I'm not specifically interested in Asian music per say, just some tuning system outside of 12TET.

For example, just intonation is a tuning system where the frequencies of notes are in the same harmonic series, equal temperament is slightly different than that as the intervals are detuned slightly. There's also Pythagorean tuning and I basically just want to experiment rather than aim for a specific tuning system at the moment.

I just don't know how to do it or what software might allow for this. Essentially, it's microtuning but with specific set ratios that have been explored musically in the past rather than conjure up something out of the blue.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Albino 3 lets you do it apparently.... :)
4am
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 4am »

New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

kontakt 3 can do that too.
i remember browsing through the presets and saw in some of the option to change the tuning to pythagorean and whatever the fck others there are.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

there are some soft synths that can let you load in new tunings. Zebra 2 is a good one.

also you can get a piece of software that will retune midi capable hardware in mono, as well as having tools to mess around quite deeply w/ tuning (and a ridiculous bank of all kinds of tuning) www.nonoctave.com

You can also get some nice results from just thinking differently with pitch, using lfo modulations on pitch can sometimes work. or wonky pitch chaning delay times. maybe tune oscillators by ear. or do pitch bends by tweaking key tracking.

definitely it can be a really interesting experience loading up a new tuning system and playing around with it. 12tET is definitely functional but it's definitely not the only capable system by any means.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Yeah it's quite liberating. I have been experimenting since and the strange thing is when you load in a TUN file ( in the case of Albino 3 ) and play diatonic chords and scales with the new tuning system you get some totally different stuff coming out. Slightly trial and error until I have more time but there are some really awesome tones developing from what would normally be basic triad chords in standard harmony.

wide/narrow minor 3rds and major 3rds, better/worse sounding perfect 5ths, etc etc.

My problem is that because I play keyboard, my fingers keep going to familiar patterns and progressions, this is a very difficult thing to break out of but simply altering the tuning system feels like new territory with new harmonies to find. Like discovering all over again.

To be honest, I don't want to read too much into it and the theory behind it because I like this the way it is at the moment, fascinating and challenging. :)