Minimoog Voyager v/s Little Phatty?

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Minimoog Voyager v/s Little Phatty?

Post by AK »

I think I mentioned before that I was due some money ( insurance stuff ) and I'm wanting to buy a new synth. Thought about the Voyager - but man, it's an expensive monosynth.

Does anyone own one? ( I know Steevio said he got one ) I haven't even played with one ( I have played a Minimoog and a number of other Moogs and know they are great instruments and built to last ) But I don't know if the price justifies the expense. In that I am fully committed to my business and I don't have any real plans to make any money from music. I do it because I love it. Period. I came from breakdance to graffiti to graphic design to music somehow, played a few band stuff, released a few things in a different genre and I will make music for the rest of my life as it's the greatest form of expression I ever encountered.

But I have no future plans or desire to pursue financial gain from music ( if it happens it happens but it's not a goal )

On that basis, would you buy something like the Voyager?

I know it's a decision only I can make but you have to understand my love for music too.

Basically, I have 6 grand from an insurance thing and it's like a fat bit of pocket money.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Is Steevio's Gnomclip Voyager? I know he said he had one now but I'm not aware if he made that track before or after he got it. Doesn't sound like one-fingered chords.
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

i have a phatty, what you wanna know?

I would get a phatty and a few moogerfoogers
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

I'm just deciding what to buy. I want to buy Moog but I am unsure about the sonic difference between the 2. I want good, solid analog tones and longevity and resale price.

I'm very dubious about things like the machinedrum because it's a small company with no history of longetivity. I'm going to get something. I just need to be inspired by it.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... highlight=
read the 10th post.
dont know if he does know what his talking about, but i remeber reading that thread and he wasnt the only one who said that there is a sonic difference.

I never owned a Moog, but played with a Voyager once. though its sounded very good, it doesnt justify the price IMO. but i never looked for the Moog sound in my music, so thats another thing.

If i could choose one synth to add to my studio, it will be Future Retro XS.
-semi modular
-LFO recieves midi clock
-velocity sesitive
-cv to midi convertor
-multimode filter with external audio input
It can do much more than the Moog and cost much less.

but it all depends on the character your looking for.
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

Moog little phatty, there is even a controller vst so you can draw out automation on your computer and it will control the phatty. Which is huge.

I'd go little phatty, its analog in its purest sense, very heavy.

http://www.msplinks.com/MDFodHRwOi8vcmF ... xsZXIucmFy

thats the controller vst, props to that kid!
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

Stomper wrote:
-LFO recieves midi clock
-velocity sesitive
-cv to midi convertor

Phatty does all this and more.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

livecollective wrote:
Stomper wrote:
-LFO recieves midi clock
-velocity sesitive
-cv to midi convertor

Phatty does all this and more.
The Little Phatty filter is only LP not multimode. didnt find in the specification anything about external input for the filter.
I mostly use BP for fx, so multimode filter does make a big difference for me.

Dont get me wrong, im not arguing and not saying XS is better. im only saying that for someone on a budget that doesnt look for the Moog sound, the XS is worth checking out. for someone that does look for the Moog sound, obviously, nothing beats a Moog:)