TR-808 groove template and more

- ask away
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

TR-808 groove template and more

Post by Opuswerk »

Hya,

I'm about to shell out the cash for Live8 and will finally be able to use the groove feature.

Thus I'm looking for groove templates. I've already got quite a few MPC ones and the one from the Machinedrum. I'm very interested in getting the swings of the mighty TR-808 and all its little brothers and sisters.
I am aware the 808 has no MIDI out, but i'm pretty sure the DIN output must have been recorded and recycled (as within the Recycle program) :D
Maybe some one here has them and could share them? Or someone knows of a place to actually find them

Hope someone can help :D
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
fragment
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by fragment »

i would be interested too... but since you can extreact grooves from any midi or audio file you could easily build up a huge groove-library. But yea, some genuine 808 grooves woud be nice to have...

Oh and Opus, you will not regret buying 8... i blows me away every day since i upgraded...
"there aren't many problems which can't be solved with a kick drum on the first beat and a snare drum on the 3rd beat, and a whole lot of sub bass in the middle"

Setup: Macbook Pro 15" 2,5 • MOTU Ultralite • Ableton Live 8 Suite • NI Maschine • UC-33e • Novation Launchpad • Novation ReMOTE 25 SL Compact •
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

http://www.logic-cafe.com/homepage.asp

maybe there. they have loads of other stuff you might use.

*edit* now that i look there isn't any for the 808.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: TR-808 groove template and more

Post by steevio »

Opuswerk wrote:Hya,

I'm about to shell out the cash for Live8 and will finally be able to use the groove feature.

Thus I'm looking for groove templates. I've already got quite a few MPC ones and the one from the Machinedrum. I'm very interested in getting the swings of the mighty TR-808 and all its little brothers and sisters.
I am aware the 808 has no MIDI out, but i'm pretty sure the DIN output must have been recorded and recycled (as within the Recycle program) :D
Maybe some one here has them and could share them? Or someone knows of a place to actually find them

Hope someone can help :D
as far as i know, the DIN sockets on old Roland gear are only for sync. (in the same way as midi-clock)
foo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by foo »

maybe try to extract the groove from an 808 loop that you like?

ableton 8 rocks indeed!
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

There shouldn't be an 808 groove template available of any consequence. The clock in an 808 is remarkably accurate and its pretty stiff and dead on. Its the variant dynamics of its analog sound sources that give it so much schwang.

You can look it up online, there have been extensive tests of the 808 done on this one website... forget the URL at the moment.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
Phurniture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Phurniture »

And just to make victorjohn's point even more clear, the 808 had no swing function whatsoever...although back when I did have an 808, some patterns I made were so funky that you'd swear there was some sort of swing going on. It truly was a magical machine.
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

Thanks for your replies.

Seems like i was wrong about the 808 swing. I was mislead by the d16 emulation which does have a swing button that grooves very nicely btw :) Interesting how the 808 "groove" seems to really only be a matter of dynamics....

Also maybe my first post wasn't clear, but i'm looking for any groove template of the classic drum machines. Those that have a swing function that is :D .
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk