Sniffing out the BMP and Key

- ask away
TheAlphaNerd
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Sniffing out the BMP and Key

Post by TheAlphaNerd »

So I know there are people who will want to do it by ear, but I am looking for something a little more efficient (for now).

So I know about mixed-in-key, but is that the best way?

I'm mixing within ableton so I do need to do a bit of preperation.

Running both XP and Mac OS X

Any suggestions
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

well, the BPM is listed within the warp marker thing in ableton and you could get one of those tuning plugins perhaps. i dont know there names, but a quick google would probably see you right.
MarkA
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MarkA »

jesus fucking christ
I DJ with ableton, and sometimes I feel a bit iffy about the fact it beatmatches for me, but it when you get to a point where you're scared to pick the next record incase there is a key clash, then it's time to call it a day
TheAlphaNerd
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by TheAlphaNerd »

Well unfortunately I'm not just grabbing records on the fly. My intention is to extrapolate 4 - 16 bar loops from varying songs and construct a matrix of clips that can be navigated through using an apc. This will allow me the freedom to play synth, noisemakers, and a variety of circuit bent objects.

Also like to have my stuff organized.

Just me
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

TheAlphaNerd wrote:Well unfortunately I'm not just grabbing records on the fly. My intention is to extrapolate 4 - 16 bar loops from varying songs and construct a matrix of clips that can be navigated through using an apc. This will allow me the freedom to play synth, noisemakers, and a variety of circuit bent objects.

Just me

take ear training and stop being a lazy sh!t.
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

TheAlphaNerd wrote:Well unfortunately I'm not just grabbing records on the fly. My intention is to extrapolate 4 - 16 bar loops from varying songs and construct a matrix of clips that can be navigated through using an apc. This will allow me the freedom to play synth, noisemakers, and a variety of circuit bent objects.

Just me
Seems like a lot of effort just to be DJing other people's music. :lol:
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

trak660 wrote:

Just me
Seems like a lot of effort just to be DJing other people's music. :lol:
+1 - Mixed in key is good; but it just makes djing even less fun.
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

there's also rapid evolution which is a free version of mixed in key with loads of other options...
Very much worth a try imo.

As for the key clashes, I remember writing down BPMs and Key on my record sleeves, so why not have it on my mp3s? You still have to very much know your tunes and you're just playing someone else's music...
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk