Funny thing about ricardo villalobos gear

- ask away
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Funny thing about ricardo villalobos gear

Post by blizt »

From the tobias interview on resident advisor.

"Is it the same situation as when you do stuff with Ricardo, for example, or with Martin?

No. With Martin, we work differently. We build things up. With Ricardo it was similar. The reason I did something with him, though, was just because I wanted to listen to my 808 on his soundsystem. He doesn't have an 808, and he always says, "Ah, I don't need this machine." And he also somehow doesn't like the 909 as well. He doesn't like the real machines, he wants to have machines that just imitate the 808, you know. I don't know why. And actually, when I connected it, it didn't sound as good as I thought it would for some reason.

It's funny. He has the biggest speakers and subwoofers in the world. So I guess it's too much; it sounds kind of fat and unbelievably loud and full of sound, but usually the 808 in a club will sound perfect through the speakers. When the soundsystem is nice, the 808—without EQing and without compression—sounds perfect, but not in Ricardo's studio, I don't know what happened there."
fragment
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by fragment »

wow...just wow :|

bottom line is what ? The guy was unable to make his 808 sound good on ricardo´s system ? damn i feel sorry for him
"there aren't many problems which can't be solved with a kick drum on the first beat and a snare drum on the 3rd beat, and a whole lot of sub bass in the middle"

Setup: Macbook Pro 15" 2,5 • MOTU Ultralite • Ableton Live 8 Suite • NI Maschine • UC-33e • Novation Launchpad • Novation ReMOTE 25 SL Compact •
damnwords
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by damnwords »

http://www.residentadvisor.net/review-view.aspx?id=5330

"It's been said that Ricardo Villalobos has a pair of studio monitors worth sixty grand"

He's mixing on a club installation ? suited for monitoring ?
six_minds
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by six_minds »

just out of curiosity: what would the machines which "just imitate the 808" be? Anyone know?
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

This is the closer i've found. However the highs aren't as crisp as the real deal, especially the cymbals. + the interface and software addons make it a great instrument imo. Basically most of what d16 do is good...
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
fragment
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by fragment »

ehhh... nope :roll:

D16 apps arent machines, they are VST´s - kinda obvious i guess...

My guess would be Jomox gear like their XBASE 888 & XBASE 999

http://www.jomox.de/products.php?lang=1&category=1

there are several other hardware 808&909 wannabe´s which could be possible... i am not saying that Mr.Villalobos isnt using software but the guy in that interview refers to "machines" - so i guess he talks about hardware
"there aren't many problems which can't be solved with a kick drum on the first beat and a snare drum on the 3rd beat, and a whole lot of sub bass in the middle"

Setup: Macbook Pro 15" 2,5 • MOTU Ultralite • Ableton Live 8 Suite • NI Maschine • UC-33e • Novation Launchpad • Novation ReMOTE 25 SL Compact •
six_minds
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by six_minds »

yeah I know the d16 stuff. Not bad, but leaves something to be desired...

And I did mean analog hardware...

I thought the Jomox stuff might have been implied... But was somehow imagining something more esoteric...