The more music i listen...

- open
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

The more music i listen...

Post by blizt »

I get less excited. Im sure im forgetting lots of labels, but everything is sounding the same lately, at least to me. And the worst thing is that the top guns are supporting some of this mediocre music, so we can say they are in part responsible of that.

Do you feel the same?
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

to be honest yes, i agree. its increasingly stale. Years passed were great but now but now the genre feels very set in its ways. I am not as inspired nor do I see that much forward thinking music.

Doesn't mean its still not fun but I personally have been looking at other genres for inspiration and people doing interesting stuff.
Del
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: The more music i listen...

Post by Del »

blizt wrote:I get less excited. Im sure im forgetting lots of labels, but everything is sounding the same lately, at least to me. And the worst thing is that the top guns are supporting some of this mediocre music, so we can say they are in part responsible of that.

Do you feel the same?
No. I find that I’m finding / buying / listening to better, more exciting music than ever. It’s just you have to look a little harder to find it. You mention ‘the big guns’ are supporting mediocre music? Well I guess that’s your answer. Take your attention away from the so called big guns – There really is so much more quality music out there.

Although I understand there are times when you can be demotivated and or uninspired by a particular genre.. I suggest giving it a break for a couple of weeks and stop looking. Come back to it with refreshed, open ears.
Alex M
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Alex M »

I kind of think the same, it is so hard to find good tracks nowadays that sometimes I just can't be bothered. This started a while ago when the techno-housey/fake house trend started, every-one seems to produce/dj this style now and it get's very boring, very fast for me.

I find myself exploring netlabels more and more and just concentrating on producing.
It's a slow learning curve but I'm loving it. It's been a while since I found something to do that doesn't end up boring me after a while and this way I make (or try to) the sounds I want to hear.

Try what Del says, take a break, listen to other styles of music and then come back to it. After some time you will feel the urge to play one of your favourite sets/tracks and you will enjoy it much more!
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

when did "the big guns" (ever) play music that inspired you...

* as mentioned above look in another direction...

preferable entirely your own..

it's much more rewarding...

& gratifying.
Rookas
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rookas »

i am now into much more styles and to older stuff.. because its time checked stuff... ofcourse to new stuff, but now im only searching for something that has some value
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

what John said...
personally I always find good music, probably because I don't just go on Beatport, click "minimal" and only listen to that narrow field. There's so much superb music out there. One of the best 'techno' records I heared lately was from a RA podcast of Dj Pete, called 'Bury That Bwoy'. It's labeled everywhere as dubstep, but it's so freaky deep that you can just as well play it in techno, minimal, whatever sets. And that's the stuff that attracts me: music taking the best elements of various styles and cooking up something fresh.

And other days I just like boomtsjakboomtsjak stuff from the majors too ;-)
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by stevësto »

i see these exact same threads pop up once in a while and they always have the same vague responses. wouldn't it be more helpful if we all shared our research methods? explain how you go about finding new music on the internet. its a huge jungle out there.

i predict the future is only going to get more filled with music, its only going to get worse. with the ease of making music at home now, the sea of music will only get bigger. perhaps there will one day be a global system developed to get a handle on all of this, built by a network of blogs and music channels that work together as a giant filter organized into specific traits or characteristics. like last.fm but much more advanced and specific.

OR .... it will get so big that djs will just give up, the art of djing itself will self implode and everyone will just be live acts, instead of djing songs they will dj with samples to build new songs on the fly, because the sea of material to sample from on the internet is so endless that people will not be as interested in making new sounds from scratch anymore. example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZd_gS-Gm0E