Random quotes

- open
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Random quotes

Post by pheek »

It's often when you play in a club or rave, late at night that you hear the most memorable things from weird clubbers, or f*cked up kids. sometimes it makes you laugh, sometimes it makes you want to retire from the scene but one sure thing, you remember the quotes.

Here's my collection of the most random quotes/events in the past years (consider that these were asked to me during or after my minimal live PA):

"Could you play beats?"

"Do you have hip hop?"

"I want you to play funk."

"Can you play that record again?" (when there is no record on sight nearby)

"OH don't tell me you don't have U2!!" (when there is no record on sight nearby)

"The last track remind me of the movie Top gun"

"Can you play psy-trance, LOUDER?"

"Is this a rave?"

"Do you have a mic, I'm going to help you a bit with vocals"

"Dude, you really need to know what real music is"

"You must have a lot of turntables at home to play like that" (when there is no turntables on sight nearby)

"You suck ASS, you're ruining the party!"

"Where are the vocals?"

"Do you sell drink coupons?"

"Let me play that laptop too. Now."

"Turn down the bass, I will add a strob" (by a promoter)

"Will you play using this?" (pointing my mouse)

"Your sound 'zwoink' got into my head" (the guy looked so sad, he repeated this 3-4 times while pointing in forehead)

(In Paris, in a night named "Less is More, featuring Magda & Pheek from minus; a minimal night", a girl jumps on stage 2 minutes before my set) "Could you now play drum and bass?" / same night, during my set, by a guy who came on stage "Can you play ragga?"

* Some guy bite my laptop during my set (Detroit).

* Some pusher tried to search me during my set to see if I had pills on me (Montreal).

* Some rasta dude climbed on the table I was playing and started to dance. (London)

*Got beer bottles thrown at me (Magog, QC).

etc.

Do you have any to share?
fredrik_h
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Random quotes

Post by fredrik_h »

pheek wrote: "Your sound 'zwoink' got into my head" (the guy looked so sad, he repeated this 3-4 times while pointing in forehead)
:D

I can relate to the feeling though hehe...

-

Can't come up with much, except for when playing a live-set at a festival a guy comes up to me and ask me if I got any Iron Maiden records... (no turntables/cdplayers ofcourse, and also the fact that it was minimal techno that was being played)

And yeah, once at the same festival (another year) I was playing some dub techno etc. in the lounge/chill area or whatever (basic channel/deep chord etc.) - and the bar-owner comes up to me and says "this isn't lounge - where is the latin music?"
Last edited by fredrik_h on Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

don´t remember much but there are similarities

"can you play guns n roses at 12 cause my friend has birthday"

"could you play bob marley?" 2x

"i can rap. do you have a mic" 2x

- almost fighted with some drunk asshole cause he always bumped my decks and didn´t realise that the records jump cause of him

a friend got smacked into his face while playing from some crackhead. crackhead got away cause everyone was surprised...

some dude asked another friend after his liveact if he wants that girl, pointing at her....answer was no, but she tried an approach on her own later with no result. dude came back and asked again more clearly...(wanna have sex with her?)
techno made me do it
braz
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by braz »

can you play track 14 from cd 2 from hellraiser 18? It goes like bambambambam (sirens) bambambambam. You know that track? No? Wait i got in in my car and i'll go get it! (and he did) :lol:

During my last party i organised a dude came up to me (5 minutes before i had to start my set: youre gonna play the same shitmusic like this guy? Good luck!

Girl: can u play some latin or sean paul?
Me: no!
Girl: and destiny's child?
Me: uhmm, no, i'll put on some beegees for you!
Girl: Is that the new group of fat Joe!?
Me: yes!

and i can go on and on! :roll:
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

could i play a few tunes myself? Just for a few minutes? No? Please?

is this progressive? (i was playing old detroit stuff '93)

do you know my brother? he's also italian (as if I know all the italian immigrants in belgium...)

could you give me a record signed by you? (yeah right...)

can you play miss kitten? (i've had this several times actually...)

can you play more trash?

it would have been great if you played more minimal... (after a minimal set...) he probably expected to hear raumschmier and similar stuff that's regarded as minimal nowadays...

is it hard to mix drum'n'bass? (euh.... what?)

thomasjaldemark
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thomasjaldemark »

hehe

this friday two chicks come to the booth when i was playing dirtcrew records and alike..

- can you play some metalclassics for us?
- eeeeeeeh, no :shock:
- oh please, some iron maiden or black sabbath..
- eeeeeeeh, no... i dont have any metal, sorry.

damn, people are dumb haha.
harass
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Random quotes

Post by harass »

pheek wrote: * Some guy bite my laptop during my set (Detroit).
* Some pusher tried to search me during my set to see if I had pills on me (Montreal).
*Got beer bottles thrown at me (Magog, QC).
wow... haha
mayzee
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mayzee »

the one I get asked most often is 'got any hard house moosh?'

(moosh is a term used routinely round here, its a bit like mate, only more chavvy... for an explanation of what a chav is for non-Uk bods go to www.chavscum.co.uk)

regularly get asked if I've got anything 'banging' and get asked to play faster too...

the 'lets have a mix, go on, just one tune, if I'm crap I'll go away again' is quite common

reply - either no, or you'll have top speak to the promoter about that, bring him in a tape next time or something

the one that sticks in my mind the most was

'have you got cosmic gate - fire wire'
'no, its rubbish'
'no its not, its well good, even my little 3 year old loves it'
'exactly, its kids music' *headphones on, back in the mix*

but I'm genrally pretty zoned once I start playing, quite often find I've been blanking a mate for about 20-30 mins :)