Creative Commons License and Netlabels

- open
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Creative Commons License and Netlabels

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

I am not too keen on the majority of Creative Commons License types used by netlables to release music. Pretty much all of the ones I have seen would make playing the tracks at a for-profit event technicaly a violation of the license.

So far I have only seen one net label (miniatura records) that actually gives express consent for people to play their music for audiences. I am sort assuming that most of these netlabels would be ok with DJs playing their tracks... otherwise what is the point of making them?

I am probably just being nitpicky but I think its high time for the development of a new Creative Commons License for this particular niche. Am I right in assuming there is no problem playing netlabel tracks or do these netlabels really expect people to refrain from playing their music?
infernal.techno
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by infernal.techno »

:!:
- matt
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

i could get a lawyer to go over the fine print......
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

I don't think anyone cares as long as you are not repacking the songs and redistributing them for money. (no utilizing them in commercials without written consent, no selling mix cds with tracks on them, etc.)

Basically we hold the licensing rights and the master copy copyright, thusly we are only giving people the option to enjoy our music, or use it to perform live.

At least thats how it rolls for what we do.
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Like I said, I am probably just being nitpicky.

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

Like I said, I am probably just being nitpicky. I just figure if netlabels go though the trouble of declaring the nature of their license they should at least have a standard that makes sense for the paticulars of electronic music geared towards DJs playing for people.
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Like I said, I am probably just being nitpicky.

Post by pheek »

Shepherd_of_Anu wrote:Like I said, I am probably just being nitpicky. I just figure if netlabels go though the trouble of declaring the nature of their license they should at least have a standard that makes sense for the paticulars of electronic music geared towards DJs playing for people.
Dude... netlabels die for people to DJ their music, its a common sense thing here, they are creating labels to get the music out there.

Please check this movie out: http://www.ripremix.com/
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

you can play the tracks on my netlabel as much as you like. i wouldn't mind if someone wanted to use one of my tracks for commercial but we would have to make some kind of arrangement.
TMCM
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by TMCM »

there's not much space for "common sense" in a legal text.
so maybe there should be some dj-friendly lines in future cc licences, but until then i don't think anyone will get his legs broken.
coffee makes you happy... except when it messes you up.
Twitter Last.FM Facebook