Dubstep.. then I saw this video which confirmed I suspicions

- open
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Dubstep.. then I saw this video which confirmed I suspicions

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

I haven't listen to very much dubstep but the majority of what I have heard sounded a little boring and un-musical. You know, the kind of stuff you would expect to hear playing in the background during a raid on a derilect crackhouse by the DEA during some show featured on Spike. I didn't think it would be very exciting to dance to at a party then I saw this video which confirmed my suspicions... :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdOi-gdL58g

Actually, this reminds me of a few hip hop clubs I have been to where groups of thugs in leather jackets stand around snorting and smoking drugs waiting for the fight to start.
Harlesden
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Harlesden »

whatever can be said about dubstep it's probably the "friendliest" scene around (in London anyway)
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Well I live in Canada so I can't say I know anything about the London Dubstep scene. I am not even suggesting that dubstep is a music associated with violent people although I do think it is aimed at excessively heavy drug users. It reminds me of Ali G for some reason... you know... one of those laughable Jafakin types.

Nah, I was saying that the video I linked to reminded me of some hip hop clubs I have been to.

I am not trying to offend anyone... I am just saying that dubstep sounds like a crackhead's choice of music.

Hmmm... that I can only attribute to the certain influences and my proximity to Toronto...
Last edited by Shepherd_of_Anu on Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

I dont know what i clicked but this post should not be here :shock:

This is an accidental post... I am going to make the most of it and plug a track I really like of of the Humatrons release.

Dub Taylor - Metropolis
shypht
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by shypht »

I haven't been to that many parties that have played dubstep, but the ones I've been to (and in/around Toronto) have generally gone off and had a great party-vibe.

Some dubstep is super slow and heady, other stuff has a bit more wobble and unf to the bass and is allot of fun to dance to. Especially when put onto a proper sound system and the bass makes your chest rumble with it.

Flying Lotus @ Mutek was also great last year, and I find that Dubstep DJ's I've seen generally dont stick to 100%-purely dubstep but do a bit of genre-jumping also mixing in techno/minimal/house/DnB/Jungle/etc also. Although, I forsee as that scene grows and gains popularity, it'll become more rigid as thats the way scenes seem to go as they grow....
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by stevësto »

let me see if i got this right ... you've never been to a dubstep night, you haven't listened to much dubstep, you think its aimed at drug users, and you have confirmed these assumptions to be correct from watching a joke video on youtube?
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

stevësto wrote:let me see if i got this right ... you've never been to a dubstep night, you haven't listened to much dubstep, you think its aimed at drug users, and you have confirmed these assumptions to be correct from watching a joke video on youtube?
+1.

i myself haven't heard much of it, but have had an open mind about it, and last week when we had pangaea here to dj he about blew my fucking mind. i've heard some insanely good dubstep in the last few months, and it borders on a really techy, very intricate style. that wobble-bassline stuff seems to have come and gone as quickly as electroclash did in the early 00's.

and, in talking with pangaea for a few hours, he even confirmed that most of the people there aren't really taking heavy drugs, that its primarily drinking, and everyone in the uk that he hangs, parties, and produces with are some of the coolest people he's met.

the modern love guys confirmed all of this, by the way...
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

stevësto wrote:let me see if i got this right ... you've never been to a dubstep night, you haven't listened to much dubstep, you think its aimed at drug users, and you have confirmed these assumptions to be correct from watching a joke video on youtube?
Ya man, you got that right. I hope you don't start acting like a touchy bitch over it. The fact I stated that I knew little about the world of dubstep should indicate to you that my statements are simply impressions that I have based solely on the music. I shouldn't have to draw these lines for you. Connect the dots yourself.

I thought the video was amusing... the fact that it is a computer animation should indicate its validity as a confirmation of my impressions (not assumptions) from the music. Are you simple or something?

I have listened to a bit of dubstep. I have given it a chance. I would say that out of maybe a hundred tracks I have heard three I liked. One thing I will say is that the dubstep sound is probably the more original sound I have heard in music for a few years... but the fact that almost every track sounds the same kind of takes away from that originality.

I have been looking around at what's out there and I didn't find too much that I was crazy about but I did stumble upon a few dubstep dancing videos that had me in stiches.

I am not one to criticize people's dancing at all. Dancing is about having fun and expressing yourself through movement but this sh!t is just silly. This guy I call the Professional reminds me of this crazy old homeless lady I used to see every now and then. I think he should be institutionalized.

The experimentalist - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7xhsCzttGc
The Professional - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfgmjcvUeGs
Dub Step Super Stars - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgE1LJhl1Es

This chick is actually kind of interesting to watch - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1kCDxfBl8w
Last edited by Shepherd_of_Anu on Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.