- ask away
Gustavo Bravetti
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Making that "Body Language" sound.

Post by Gustavo Bravetti »

New iproducer video

This time:
How to program a "M.A.N.D.Y vs Booka Shade - Body Language" like sound, on Ableton Live's Operator.

Note that I'm using Live8's Operator. Fortunately all used parameters are backward compatible, so you can perform it on Live7's Operator, and it will sound the same.

You can see it on my blog:
http://gustavobravetti.blogspot.com/200 ... -body.html

Hope you do enjoy it,
Gustavo
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

it's nice to see you work, pretty impressive how you replicate it and sadly, sort of take out the magic in the track at the same time (at least for me).

Ethically speaking, I'm not too sure what to think of this. What is the purpose of replicating one's sound... unless to understand how it works?
Please share your view and thanks for sharing your skills. ;)
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

pheek wrote:
Ethically speaking, I'm not too sure what to think of this. What is the purpose of replicating one's sound... unless to understand how it works?
Please share your view and thanks for sharing your skills. ;)
+1

However very nice tip on using the velocity to affect the filter's cutoff rather than the volume.
Makes me realize I'm a bit too brutal with Operator too. Need to learn how more sublte tweaks can enrich the sound.
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
4am
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 4am »

pheek wrote:
imho is something similar to study bach scores, or the charlie parker omnibook, the purpose is to understand how it works in order to be able to assimilate it in the own language and (ideally) go further and find out something new
thanks for sharing!
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

nice stuff man.

haha, and i'm loving the alternative controllers video on your blog. it's great - you must have had a lot of fun at that gig.
Ingemar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ingemar »

I'm on a soundless computer now so I haven't seen the video (yet), but regarding whether it is allright to 'expose' someone's technique like that it is MY opinion that if someone would pin point what I have done really well in my own synth work and take the time to figure it out and explain it to someone else, I would feel honoured.

To me it is not killing the magic, it is spreading it.

But then again seeing as the risk of the above scenario happening is rather minimal it might be easy for me to speak... I mean, I am working pretty hard on chiseling out a personal technique and sound so if someone would share it p2p-style before I got any recognition for it I get hellamad :P

for example there is some stuff ive heard in pheek's tracks that I would really want to know how they were achieved, but with saying that not saying that i would directly splice it into my own productions
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JonasEdenbrandt »

If you look back at musical history all great western composers started out with nowing exactly what people had done before them. It's kind of a new idea and strange one at that, that everyone should have to invente the wheal over and over again. Figuring out how to make other peoples sounds, figuring out there rhythmic patterns and basslines is probably the best way of learning. It's then up to the artist what they do with the information.
Market
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Market »

Thanks for sharing your skill, you are sadly one of the few on this forum sharing this kind of knowledge.

"sadly, the magic of the track disappear".... ah ah this is funny.. real funny
(-) (-) "ethically, is this correct?" Ah AH AHHH so funny really (-) (-) (-)