WTF BEATPORT!!!!!!

- ask away
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

WTF BEATPORT!!!!!!

Post by victorgonzales »

Okay this is really pissing me off. my label partner just did a release that and beatport decided to file it into the fucking psy trance section. It is some progressive tracks and a couple technoish progressive tracks. DEFINATELY not psy trance. There is one strange track that might be confusing as to genre but most are pretty clearly progressive .

Who are the fucking clowns that decide this sh!t? We are going to get ZERO sales in the psy trance section because this sh!t is NOT psy trance.

Man Im so pissed off

https://www.beatport.com/en-US/html/con ... 641/Wasted

Does this soud like psy trance to you?

fck beatport.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

I would say that some of the tracks surely sounds very 'trancy' to me....

Why don't you guys just contact your label rep and have them to change it to what ever you want, instead of writing complaints on forums?

Did you fill out the excel sheet with genres yourself and after that they changed it to psy-trance or??
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

I'm not saying i totally disagree with you but what would you classify it as? I've had my records classified as Minimal, dub techno, breaks, progressive (whateverthefuck that means) and I'm sure it'll be labeled as some other sh!t in the future that some douchebag made up. I don't think my music sounds like any of that stuff personally but i'm aware that when it comes to me i'm extremely bias. I'm not that mad about it. Beatport love em or hate em they sell allot of electronic music and i wouldn't totally discount their opinion on this one. There is allot of psy trancey stuff going on in your tracks. It's very west coasty. Maybe you'll hit a new demographic on the way who knows.
mrgreynoise

Post by mrgreynoise »

it's psytrance... or if you want to finnagle, "progpsy"... check out stuff like tegma, vibrasphere, tribal vision records, you'll get an idea of what this is being lumped with.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Victor, don't worry i've got a couple of friend who are doing well in the European psytrance scene and this is the kind of stuff they are making and playing. Like everything else psytrance has slowed down and become more interesting. I would actually say this is more psytrance than the stuff they play. I think this release will do better than if it was in the progressive section or trance section. psytrance DJ's will think this is some fresh sh!t! Only reason they wouldn't buy it is because of the artists name. they prefer things like DJ Dream Whisperer or DJ Fire Elf.
Last edited by tone-def on Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

patrick bateman wrote:

Why don't you guys just contact your label rep and have them to change it to what ever you want, instead of writing complaints on forums?

Did you fill out the excel sheet with genres yourself and after that they changed it to psy-trance or??
Innit... Contact your label rep if you're unhappy. Sometimes we get stuff in the progressive section, but one email and its all sorted.
solconnection
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by solconnection »

tone-def wrote:Victor, don't worry i've got a couple of friend who are doing well in the European psytrance scene and this is the kind of stuff they are making and playing. Like everything else psytrance has slowed down and become more interesting. I would actually say this is more psytrance than the stuff they play. I think this release will do better than if it was in the progressive section or trance section. psytrance DJ's will think this is some fresh sht! Only reason they would buy it is because of the artists name. they prefer things like DJ Dream Whisperer or DJ Fire Elf.
agree with tonedef :) i used to be big into the prog psy...i would have loved more releases like yours :) i think it could be a good thing for you as it does share a lot of elements with prog psy, but because you have come from a totally different angle it also sounds really fresh. Beatport doesn't have a proressive psy genre so they just label it psytrance.

nice release btw :)
-Dan
ps. lol @ dj dream whisperer or dj fire elf...hah, so true :) even my nickname on here is a throwback to the psytrance days.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

::BLM:: wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:

Innit... Contact your label rep if you're unhappy. Sometimes we get stuff in the progressive section, but one email and its all sorted.
i had my faster early releases moved out of minimal into techno, and it only took one email to my rep.