What do you see when you hear?

- open
markenstien
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

What do you see when you hear?

Post by markenstien »

Hiya, i'm an interactive media student in the uk and apart from music my main interest is moving image! I'm curious as to what people imagine or think of when they listen to mnml music? what places do you imagine, what colours and what atmospheres? Thanx :)
orphic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by orphic »

I see shapes and colours mostly. Harass gets some pretty cool visual associations, hopefully he will reply to this thread!
harass
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by harass »

I don't even know where to start :)... as orphic said.. with some tracks I see people, locations and smells. Really depends on what mood I'm in, and what music I'm listening to.. and if it's any good :)

It's very hard for me to explain, so it's best to send me a pm if you want to know more.
harass
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by harass »

I would be interested to see what other people experience. Few of my friends see whole colors, there's a condition for it, forget what it is though. There's a DJ here who was telling me how he selects tracks based on the color they produce.
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

Synesthesia would be that condition. I definitely experience it to quite a strong degree. It's not quite like 'seeing' a color or feeling something directly, but you just know that it's there. It is kind of like...think-seeing or think-feeling.

It is especially strong when on psychedelics. In that case, one might experience actual visions and hallucinated senses brought on by various stimuli, music being one prime example.
harass
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by harass »

Jesse Somfay wrote:Synesthesia would be that condition. I definitely experience it to quite a strong degree. It's not quite like 'seeing' a color or feeling something directly, but you just know that it's there. It is kind of like...think-seeing or think-feeling.

It is especially strong when on psychedelics. In that case, one might experience actual visions and hallucinated senses brought on by various stimuli, music being one prime example.
Thanks man, I've been wanting to read some more about it.
PatStormont
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by PatStormont »

If you look back at ground breaking musicians and composers, a lot of them had synesthesia.

I don't imagine colours, but sometimes I do get an image in my mind and sometimes really intense emotions. I think this is fairly normal though.
jpls
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jpls »

the majority of the sense i receive seem to be with texture and
consistency. i always try to make my techno round sounding.

i am not sure when this started and if it has to do with a large consumption
of psychedelics as a teenager.