what can i do with my aging ibook?

- ask away
djw
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

what can i do with my aging ibook?

Post by djw »

hey ppl. i've decided that its time to upgrade my system, and i'm going to get an imac some time soon. i've got a g4 ibook clocking at 1.44 ghz and with 1.5 gb ram.. and i don't want this laptop to collect dust just yet - its a really good machine and it has not crashed once in 4 years. i was thinking about traktor le with the behringer bcd3000, that i could use the ibook solely for this software, but it seems that not even the controller supports my specs. the minimum specs for traktor 3 le and behringer bcd3000 is 1.5 ghz. do you think it will be possible to run it anyway - i mean, if no other apps are running could the 0.06 difference perhaps not really pose a problem? i've asked NI about this, but no reply yet.. perhaps some of you know something about this? thanks!
djw
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by djw »

anyone?
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Hmmm... Take ur laptop to a local music shop that has both of those softwares and hardwares. Try it out. Or perhaps get the demo of traitor... And then borrow a friends midi controller and try that. I would also suggest trying out an external harddrive.

I honestly think this should all run fine. U have a duocore processor..? Running traitor should be fine in it.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
djw
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by djw »

nah, no duo-core. bought it in 2005, four-five months before the intel processors came along. i'm running ableton 6 and use m-audio firewire 410 soundcard...this works ok, so... i dont know. i can't see why it shouldnt work but then again i'd rather be sure.
Android
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Android »

sell it for $500 and get a new machine

use it as a web/ personal media server

load some graphics programs on it and create some visuals
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

yeh... i'd sell it if its not intel.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

have you seen the movie "office space"?
MarkA
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MarkA »

victorgonzales wrote:have you seen the movie "office space"?
:lol: