how did you start listening to minimal music?

- open
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

94/95

Save the Vinyl - Detroit.

When I first started to go record shopping I saw/heard my first Studio One record. I was drawn to the minimal sounds and clever bass lines of Studio One records more than any of the other records in the shop...

I was hooked from day one.
Ghazala
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: how did you start listening to minimal music?

Post by Ghazala »

plaster wrote:i'm really interrested to know how some of you started to listen to minimal?
I started listening to Minimal last year - to be exactly on the 14th August 2005! On http://www.djmixes.net/forum/ (they've got a quite good minimal section) I've found a set by Dominik Eulberg... the time before that, I've always wondered what minimal is. So I had a listen and was totaly fascinated by the music and the incredible sounds! Since that day I love minimal music... it's strange cause I used to listen to trance music a lot :lol:

My current favourite records are:
- Dominik Eulberg In The Mix - Kreucht & Fleucht
- Dominik Eulberg - Flora & Fauna
- Ricardo Villalobos In The Mix - Taka Taka
- Richie Hawtin - DE:9 Transitions
Cans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Cans »

PatStormont wrote:
plaster wrote:how do you defend with the charge of having dj tiesto in your avatar!? :D
Well he was voted the world's number 1 DJ. The people have spoken, who are you to disagree? You don't see ritchie or ricardo opening the olympics do you?
I just love this.
entropy
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by entropy »

I started listening minimal with Plastikman, the first albums i heard from him were Artifakts and Consumed in 2004, and just a bit after that i heard Pan Sonics - Kulma... i just got crazy about it, not even knowing what that music actually was, but i got more and more into it, started getting some more albums, surfing on the net, searching info about it... when i got completely into it, i just can't get out of it any more... :)
"So the kids take a pill to feel the funk and the DJ takes a pill to feel the funk. I don't take a pill to feel the funk." (Derrick May)
whatever
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by whatever »

one year ago, when a friend of mine recomended me a magda @ tresor set...it was mind blowing moment...
Anonym
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Anonym »

Cans wrote:
PatStormont wrote:
plaster wrote:how do you defend with the charge of having dj tiesto in your avatar!? :D
Well he was voted the world's number 1 DJ. The people have spoken, who are you to disagree? You don't see ritchie or ricardo opening the olympics do you?
I just love this.
LOL guess what check the news section at http://m-nus.com and see that Rich has composed a piece for the opening of this years Olympics...
Where where where am I? Who who am I?
whatever
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by whatever »

i think it's a big difference between playing music @ the opening of the olympic games ( tiesto behaving like a bullshit star dj) and composing the soundtrack ... we won't see richie there...
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

I got into minimal stuff from going to Sativa parties in Edinburgh when I was a teenager.

Hearing Dan Bell's Losing control and some of the early Winx, Todd sines (I-node EP is amazing)and other stuff on Peacefrog and then seeing folk like Tobias Schmidt, Christian Vogel and Neil Landstrumm cut it up live did it for me.

Being young at the time tho I got into harder styles, Magnetic North, then a lot of Acid Techno, Reload, Important records, Synwave, Missile, Basic Channel etc, which I always still thought of as being minimal along with a lot of the Hardtrance sounds on harthouse and stay up forever.

I rediscovered the more funky, stripped down experimental side again when I bought my 1st sampler, not knowing how to use it very well, pretty much everything that came out of it was pretty minimal :) heh heh

I didn't really follow a lot of it then until I heard the stuff on background records and Trapez, folk like Akufen and False/MD (False I'd rate as some of the best minimal I've heard yet along with the EP1 and 2 on Spectral as MD) that got me right back into it !

I'd definately blame the netlabel scene for maintaining my interest tho, not a day goes past without finding some new ideas and sounds, I love it !