Post by BigPoe »

Interesting article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicbl ... chno.house

I don't want to say goodbye to minimal :shock:
thomasjaldemark
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thomasjaldemark »

its half a year old.. and its from the guardian.........
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

yeah guardian music and film coverage is pretty lame, rest of the paper is good though. their site is amazing also.

but yeah, when a major newspaper is claiming the death of a style of "underground" music, then it surely died years ago, which depending on your attention span, it probably did.
Ingemar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ingemar »

i think people are a bit overprotective about their favourite son, 'minimal'. Imagine if say blues or jazz would have been quarantained by their practitioners, or classic detroit or acid sounds would have been forcefully held back and forced to obey the current formula. Music change. Period.

One can wonder what the future history books will say when they mention the little minimal period... Maybe that it was concieved in a time when a schism between mass consumerism and a longing for that 'something more' created a wannabe aristocratic music elite who was following a few forward thinkers. Because for every minimal dancer I think there are a good few minimal snobs who like to say "ah you know, I grew soooo tired of that horribly plebeian sound of Benassi and Van Buren so I just haaad to move on", you know - people who sort of chose their favourite music according to the colour of their hand bag and not some silly criteria like how it sends chills down their spines or if it makes them feel/think of something they've never felt/though of before.

It's never the music, it's the people.

And yes, I sort of realise how I categorise myself as a member of a cast that is higher than this self proclaimed higher cast I criticise.

Everyone should just put on their headphones with their favourite music

/rant
ec50
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ec50 »

imo all this overanalyzing kills music ---- all this talk about 'minimal' and 'minimal lifestyle' (see other thread on this forum) etc etc etc. Who cares???

some tracks have a killer groove - some awesome attitude - some are plain beautiful, some are plain filthy, some are... etc etc. this could be house, techno, tech house, minimal - lord knows beatport cant get the 'labels' right ;)

so called 'genre' does not determine the experience of a track - so even if minimal has/or is dying, there will always be great new tracks - however you define or label them.

music is perpetually redefined - always incorporating the past, embracing the present and shaping the future

feel it, or don't feel it....
"Half maximal effective concentration"

www.ecfifty.com
www.myspace.com/ec50
www.soundcloud.com/ec50
BigPoe
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by BigPoe »

Yes, you're right, it is a bit of a tired argument but I have felt recently that the minimal genre is lacking a degree of freshness (which might just be due to the mindset I'm in) at the moment.

It's easy to be asorbed in the minimal world when you're so close to it and not realise that actually the people are looking for something new.

Again, perhaps it's symptom of my own indecision but the thought of making minimal music is not as alluring as it once was. (I'll go and wash my mouth out with soap now).

But based on what you've just said ec50 I now realise that defining music just leads to constraints on how you think about it. So I'm not going to make minimal anymore, I'm just going to make plain ole music!
shypht
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by shypht »

Genres come in and out of popularity, who knew.

Just because a genre is no longer the trendy-genre-of-the-week does not mean that it's dead. Minimal was around before it blew up, and minimal will still keep on trucking once it's no longer in the spotlight.

One of the 'joys' of EDM music, is that the genres continually evolve, merge, diverge and change over time.

Also, with genres, there is no set in stone on what is or is not minimal, and it can all be rather subjective. To me, most of what's being labeled as "minimal" on say, beat port - I don't find to be minimal (or terribly interesting), but I do think that there is still good minimal coming out (of which some people, especially those who dig the beat-port top-seller stuff) may argue and say that it's not minimal.

To each their own. While it can be amusing to nerd-out over this stuff now and then, at the end - is it good music? do you like it? does it move you in some way? - great, screw the genre it falls into and enjoy it for what it is - good music.
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by stevësto »

funny how they link to the "ihate minimal techno" thread here on mnml.nl ... its the 3rd paragraph, "DJ's, producers" link.