mutek 2009 :: tips/advice

- open
dela
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

mutek 2009 :: tips/advice

Post by dela »

hey all,
this year will be my first journey to MUTEK and i am REALLY looking forward to it. i like to make my rounds on the globe checking out whatever 'techno-infused' festivals i can and for some reason it did not work out until 09 here that i will make it to montreal.

anyway, i already booked my flights and hotel for my girl and i. we're staying at the marriott courtyard - downtown montreal... which atleast 'seems' close to where most of the action was last year (its on sherbrooke and hutchison)... i hope that's accurate!?

any other suggestions on things to do, places to visit? i hear montreal is quite easy on the eyes as well.

ALSO, i plan on getting engaged to my girl while there (*crossing fingers she doesn't read this website* heh... she won't*)...

any montreal natives or regulars have any ideas on the 'perfect place to pop the question'?

thanks ahead of time for your kind advice.

-dela
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

can't help you on the proposal part (and here's to her not stumbling on this site and the whole thing being ruined), but there's a litany of places to go there.

st. catherine and st. laurent have all the good sh!t, for the most part, and depending on how much you enjoy a good meal, you won't find a shortage of really, really amazing restaurants. wandering in that city is very easy to do, and you won't be disappointed. and if you're going to go to montreal, you need to have good, traditional poutine or your trip is for not.

montreal is absolutely beautiful, too, so be prepared to spend some time in the park and near the mountains relaxing.

are you going for the entire week, or just part of it? montreal is still separatist, and last time i was there, there were small pockets of people that were a little...umm...unfriendly to americans. thank god i was with pheek, and he did most of the talking (love ya jp!!) and we avoided hassles, but that might have changed.

anyway...pheek would be perfect to chime in on this one...he's a montreal resident, and he knows that place like the back of his hand.

*looks for pheek*
Last edited by cloutier on Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
Del
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Del »

ALSO, i plan on getting engaged to my girl while there (*crossing fingers she doesn't read this website* heh... she won't*)...
Best of luck ;)
dela
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by dela »

element.8 wrote:can't help you on the proposal part (and here's to her not stumbling on this site and the whole thing being ruined), but there's a litany of places to go there.
no worries. heh. she won't read this. she doesn't even know this site exists.
element.8 wrote:montreal is absolutely beautiful, too, so be prepared to spend some time in the park and near the mountains relaxing.
yup. we have this planned... and actually just might be the setting for that question.

element.8 wrote:are you going for the entire week, or just part of it? and where are you coming from? montreal is still separatist, and last time i was there, there were small pockets of people that were a little...umm...unfriendly to americans. thank god i was with pheek, and he did most of the talking (love ya jp!!) and we avoided hassles, but that might have changed.
yikes. yeah, we're american and live in milwaukee... and i hear ya... as well-traveled as we tend to be people still have their predjudices no matter where you go. (it's actually a shame really)

element.8 wrote:anyway...pheek would be perfect to chime in on this one...he's a montreal resident, and he knows that place like the back of his hand.

*looks for pheek*

yup... was actually aiming for JP with this one. ;)
dela
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by dela »

Del wrote:
Best of luck ;)

thank you. sometimes i really think i just might need it. heh.
Narcisse2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Narcisse2 »

There are a lot of nice places to pop the question, depending on your style.

Of course you could go for the usual outdoor nature proposal.

For this, there is Mont-Royal, which is our Central Park. When you are up the moutain, you don't even know you're in a 2 million people city, but you're right downtown, so that's cool.
Narcisse2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Narcisse2 »

Oh, and also there is Old Port, which is really nice. Old Europe kind of port. Cobblestone streets. Really nice.
dela
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by dela »

actually it's funny you say that because BOTH of those areas were continually suggested for doing such a thing on some travel websites i found.

hmmm... perhaps i will consider both and be a little spontaneous once we get there...

cool.

thanks everyone.

PS. any rumors on the line-ups this year?