21%

Total votes: 86

BlackPoison
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

who of you still play with vinyl

Post by BlackPoison »

Hi to everybody!

Please, I don't want to start another vinyl vs digital thread . So don't use this one to start the 100th discussion about this.

I am just interested in knowin who of you nowadays play only with vinyl or use vinyl and only some cds...
miroslav
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miroslav »

I'm still playing only vinyl. But I'm an amateur who does it just for my own fun and for some online forum podcasts, not a big name/professional DJ/producer who travels around to a lot of gigs. So I have the luxury of not being so technologically current.

But I have been slowly thinking about partially getting into a traktor scratch setup, simply because it's becoming difficult and cumbersome for me to store tons of records when I'm in a job that requires me to rotate to different parts of the country right now. I've just been lazy about it...it's a bigger up-front investment, but not really bigger than all the money I spend on vinyl over time.

Even if I really embraced all of the new technology and used it most of the time, I don't think I would ever completely foresake vinyl and the art of really mixing by hand.
JackNine
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JackNine »

I'm 100% digital now. Have been for about three years. I still pick up records (occasionally) that aren't available digitally, but I quickly digitize them (a la Steve Bug), check the sound, and when I'm happy I trade the vinyl away to a friend or sell it. I bought a huge external hard drive that I back up all my files to about once every month. This way I'm never at risk of losing too much data.

Trying to be more responsible to the environment, too. Collecting massive quantities of vinyl for the sake of "preserving the art" was never important to me; it's all about the sounds coming out of the speakers. I've found a really good way to warm up digital tracks using some preamp/EQ/power amp tweaks and this is only gonna get better with time and money.

High-quality sounds have always been what do it for me personally. Sound itself is much more important than the medium from which it comes.
Dragonsand
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Dragonsand »

2 vinyl turntables and a CD player for the big amount of tracks which ar enot available on CDs... like a lot of ambient works, video game tracks, some IDM, environnemental recordings, and other spicy ingredients.
wax works
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wax works »

I play with traktor scratch but I buy vinyl for some tracks because I like the feeling of having it on vinyl and it's the smallest thing I can do to support the labels and artists I love. I want to have a good collection of amazing tracks and mp3's just dont have the same feeling if you know what I mean?

:)
nierika
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nierika »

100% vinyl for life. Flipping through records in a case, queuing up the record and seeing the entire track visually on the record cannot be replaced by a digital method. It just wouldn't be as fun for me. I store all of my records in inner & outer plastic sleeves and keep them extremely clean (I only handle the sides when playing). The quality of the sound is absolutely immense with Ortofon Nightclub II E stylii. I also enjoy supporting vinyl-only lables like Perlon, Hello?Repeat, Vinyl Club, etc.

I would most likely use a laptop if I developed a live performance set.
oblak_21
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by oblak_21 »

vinyls..they are still underground arent they ?
because it is a good thing for supportiing the artists..
and also..i dont know, it feels good to put them on the turntables and doing stuff..
:lol: