remix contests???

- ask away
BobStock
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by BobStock »

-it sounds awesome.
-Cant we just start a online contest on mnml?

-Yeay, some more feedback will be nice 8). I only dont know if there are a lot op people who are here regular our only when they are looking for something.
daemon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by daemon »

its just like -ix said
if we find artists that got a record coming out, or it is for a real label on vinyl or a netlabel and is open to give new talent here on mnml.nl a shot to do a remix of his track, we can consider doing a remix competition to find the best remix.

This is the idea around it now finding artists or labels who are willing to participate :)
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

The problem with remix contests and labels -

when I tried doing one, there were not very many entries received when the bigger picture was looked at. Furthermore, almost all of them were terrible. A couple "ok" ones, but nothing really wow'd me. There's no way for a label to back out once the contest is over if there is nothing great submitted...

You might all just try having board-wide remix contests for yourselves where some track is picked and remixed or something.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Adam,..

Do you think that was the case with your rmx contest because you werent willing to give out samples? you wanted people to rmx full mp3's which to be honest imo can be very annoying so im sure most people would of took the "fck it" option and not bothered?

Just a thought
PatStormont
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by PatStormont »

Here's an idea instead of remixing someone else track we could do something like the "wavemail project" ep sutekh & co did.

The idea is you have someone make a bunch of samples, and everyone has to make a track using only those samples. Em411.com do something similar called "mixit".
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

::BLM:: wrote:Adam,..

Do you think that was the case with your rmx contest because you werent willing to give out samples? you wanted people to rmx full mp3's which to be honest imo can be very annoying so im sure most people would of took the "fck it" option and not bothered?

Just a thought
I was talking more in a general sense, but to address what you're saying there:
I don't believe that's the case... historically, remixes were almost a rebellious thing... people would hack up previously released music in sassy ways ... it was a culture thang and peopele had fun with it and started doing some really crazy/awesome things with it. Aside from a few commisioned reworks, It wasn't until the bedroom producer thing became huge that people started dishing out samples to work from ... while I see obvious pleasures in having samples available to work from, it takes away from what it's all about.... and it makes for a less creative approach to the remix.
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

PatStormont wrote:Here's an idea instead of remixing someone else track we could do something like the "wavemail project" ep sutekh & co did.

The idea is you have someone make a bunch of samples, and everyone has to make a track using only those samples. Em411.com do something similar called "mixit".
See archipel. that's what it's all about..
tsod
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tsod »

guys,

check http://www.rotary-cocktail.de/frame%20remix.htm

holger flinsch remix contest

go go go1 ;)