The New Beatport

- open
Gummo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

The New Beatport

Post by Gummo »

What do you guys think?

Doesn't even load here....hangs at 100-103% on both Safari and Firefox.

As I have posted in their own comments thing, I think its pretty ridicolous that things like this happen, just like it makes no sense that such a website with all these "advanced new features" is developed in Flash/Flex, despite living in the "standards age" where people go on the web from their TV and their phones.

It's also pretty stupid IMO that they completely avoided "web 2.0" cheesy-but-useful social networking features... things like comments that even Apple allows on their much bigger, more important iTunes store. User ratings, comments, playlists and recommendations would have been an easy way to make it a much better website and allow new ways to discover new music but no, they decided to just add features that have been on other websites for years.... that whole "New Beatport" overhyped demo website was pretty pathetic too, did they seriously think fixing their outdated broken website should be hyped like some new super-cool software release?

I'm pretty dissappointed.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

yes, beatport sux so much man !
Gummo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Gummo »

patrick bateman wrote:yes, beatport sux so much man !
It's really cool to see that every single time someone mentions something about Beatport, you always reply in such an intelligent manner. :)

Just because you own a label and make some money thanks to beatport doesn't mean its perfect ... and I thought this was a DISCUSSION FORUM to begin with?
sven laux
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sven laux »

mh, I think patrick wants to say that this is the 23498234 thread about this topic. :)
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Gummo wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:yes, beatport sux so much man !
It's really cool to see that every single time someone mentions something about Beatport, you always reply in such an intelligent manner. :)

Just because you own a label and make some money thanks to beatport doesn't mean its perfect ... and I thought this was a DISCUSSION FORUM to begin with?
It sure is a discussion forum, that's why I'm participating, is that okay with you Gummo?

I also work in an IT company and knows how difficult it can be to launch such a new website with so many changes as they are doing these days. Therefore I really don't blame them that there can be problems the first days after a launch, this is very normal I would say.

From what I have seen until now, the only really bad thing is that the quality is only raised from 64 to 96, that's not good enough... :(
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

sven laux wrote:mh, I think patrick wants to say that this is the 23498234 thread about this topic. :)
Spot on Sven ;)
Gummo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Gummo »

I thought this was the first topic on "the new" beatport.... feel free to link me to another one and I'll gladly stop posting here :).

I happen to work as a web designer/programmer too, and I know that the correct way to do it is to:
- add new features gradually when possible
- don't use Flash for extremely complex sites or keep it to small Flex elements (ie. the media player, animations etc.)
- follow web standards

Preview re-encoding and artworks were a big enough change, they shouldn't have done it along with a major design overhaul and all the other new features. I mean, seriously, on both my computers the site doesn't even load.

This isn't a topic where I'm complaining about the "crappy beatport labels" or whatever, I'm just saying they're just doing this whole "4.0" thing wrong.
vermi
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by vermi »

the good thing (so far) is that they've finally fixed the bug so i don't pay in euro at my flat. with the old version all prices came up in euro at home, while in dollar at my parents place :s