what is minimal?

- ask away
teknobryan
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

what is minimal?

Post by teknobryan »

forgive me because I'm new to minimal. I've been into electro house for about 4 or 5 years now, but lately I've been attracted to minimal (mainly because of beatport browsing). So the question I have is what makes minimal minimal? Is it the progression? Is it the lack of a buildup? Is it the sounds themselves, or the minimum use of sounds?
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

(lol)

the minimal your hearing on beatport isnt actually "minimal", its just re-packaged electro house shite....

Stick with eric prydz.....
teknobryan
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by teknobryan »

geeze, didn't know yall were a touchy bunch. what a "Welcome to MNML".

You still didn't answer my question. can you give me a song or something on youtube that has all the classic properties of minimal?
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

teknobryan wrote:geeze, didn't know yall were a touchy bunch. what a "Welcome to MNML".

You still didn't answer my question. can you give me a song or something on youtube that has all the classic properties of minimal?
If your really serious, check out some of the dudes on this forums tracks ; )
teknobryan
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by teknobryan »

reason I am asking is because I am an amateur producer and am wanting to deconstruct what minimal is.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

hopefully whatever it is can't be crystalised into a single post on a forum.

anyway, its probably different for different people. could you not try wikipedia or something? or maybe listening to some music? or searching on the forum?

it doesnt need its own new topic really, theres been loads of ones like this already.

read as much as you can anyway.

take care.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

sorry, double post!
teknobryan
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by teknobryan »

well I can pretty much summarize progressive house: has like a 4 bar or longer melody, like 128 bpm, sidechain alot of stuff to kick, more trancy but slower and with newer drum sounds.

electro house: lots of saws, more obnoxious sounds, shorter melodies (like one or two bar riffs) with not alot of layers playing different things like in progressive.

I'm having a harder time putting my finger on what makes minimal minimal...