deep and solid kickdrum

- ask away
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

Ronny Pries wrote:but if you take your looking glass and go back in the days...
Ronny Pries wrote:it's not like the early electronic dance music studios were uberequipped with gear. all that acid-house stuff etc was made with such little gear, man it's absolutely basic.
:) so now all of a sudden its about "back in the days", "early electronic dance music studios" and "acid house"? and i thought we were talking about 90% of dance music, as you said...

if so there's been a misunderstanding. i agree that if you want to make "acid house" and "early-sounding electronic music" vintage drum machines are your thing. but i live in the present, and i dont like to be blind about what forward thinking producers are doing, nor identifying "all dance music" with old school production techniques.

i am techno, and techno always looks to the future. because if everyone just keeps on using 808's and 909's its all doomed to get extinct. thankfully thats not the case, as shown by a whole new breed of producers giving a completely new level of excitement to a style called minimal. thats my point, and i respect everyone else's.

and for the record - yes i am sick -twisted
Ronny Pries
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Ronny Pries »

well, the very point is - the 808 still delivers superb source material for kicks of any kind and can easily be shaped the same way ever since. same for the 909 bassdrum.

of course you can make sh!t overly complicated and turn things into rocket science. but if the result counts you can get there quite easy. still and raw using an eq and a compressor.

it's like painting a black cube. while i'd prefer to just stick to black color you'd most likely go and mix your own in the most complicated manner making people say wow and uh and look what... and the result is a black cube.

i prefer not wasting much time but DO EASY.
Always think twice.
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

AK wrote:Why are people so obsessed with actually making the kickdrum from total scratch?
because the kick+lowbass (which is really one thing) is the strongest (dB-wise) mix element, and it covers frequencies of the complete spectrum. being that fundamental, all the other track elements line up to it in the form of a harmonic/loudness structure. hence this simple thoughtflow - if you manage to create a unique sounding kick, all the track will sound unique - with its own distinct dynamics, overall frequency relationships, and even personal stereo-imaging, all of which impossible to achieve if mixed around another kick drum.

some villalobos tracks have RMS of -18!!! is this achieved with compression and eq?

p.s. Ronny Pries to each his own bro, im cool with drum machine tracks.
lcvl
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by lcvl »

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:33 pm Post subject:
AK wrote:
Why are people so obsessed with actually making the kickdrum from total scratch?

because the kick+lowbass (which is really one thing) is the strongest (dB-wise) mix element, and it covers frequencies of the complete spectrum. being that fundamental, all the other track elements line up to it in the form of a harmonic/loudness structure. hence this simple thoughtflow - if you manage to create a unique sounding kick, all the track will sound unique - with its own distinct dynamics, overall frequency relationships, and even personal stereo-imaging, all of which impossible to achieve if mixed around another kick drum.
man, have you been smoking too much today?

:D
sorry, couldn't resist. I should have just said that all of the above just doesn't reflect my experience at all.

A kick drum is a kick drum is a kick drum.

People often tend to over-conceptualize things.

Just find a good one (either a sampled one, a synth or a drum-machine) and that's all. Done.

PS If you like to synthetize your own perc sounds try Drumm, a new freeware plugin that just came out. I'm getting some really nice kick drums out of it.
http://ruinwesen.com/index
Dubby music & free samples http://leocavallo.bandcamp.com
lcvl
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by lcvl »

A bunch of solid kick drums synthesized with Drumm in less than 5 minutes.

http://tinyurl.com/dktnal

Have fun!
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

lcvl wrote:man, have you been smoking too much today?

:D
sorry, couldn't resist. I should have just said that all of the above just doesn't reflect my experience at all.
no worries, i like sense of humour, we need that more here.

about your kick drums, you better post them in the druggy sample megathread... or attend a contest for "worst kick of the year". you have a high chance of winning.
lcvl
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by lcvl »

don't they affect "your personal stereo-imaging" good enough? ;)
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

deleting it.. it doesnt matter, have fun as you said.
Last edited by s.k. on Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.