Headroom

- ask away
Artificial
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Headroom

Post by Artificial »

I just wonder if im using the right method to gain some headroom..
I tend to use a max limiter (from sonalksis) on my master channel and drop the ceiling parameter.. is this the right way ?
stefanovidalidj
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by stefanovidalidj »

I think if you only put down ceiling you are only limiting... Generally limiter have a ceiling knob and an output knob, the limiter it's used to limit the max db to a certain value, the output raise the loudness of the sound... The right thing to do it's analize a pro song with for example soundforge and find out what are the dbfs value... Then analyze your song and adjust the output value of the limiter...
If for example the pro song it's at -10 l and -10 r dbfs and your song it's at -16, put +6 in the output knob and stick from -0.5 and -0.1 to in the limiter knob. When you make your song try to stay at -3 db, so you have some space for the mixdown, then when you have all thing right use the limiter when mastering.
Hope this help
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

You shouldnt really be adding on the master out. Best leaving it to the mastering engineer I say.
SHAP
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by SHAP »

Yeah those guys don't like you messing around with the master channel...
revy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by revy »

i'd just do a mixdown as normal...no limiter or compression on the master. watch your meters throughout the song to make sure they don't go over whatever level you'd like or whatever the person mastering wants.