Thinking of moving to san francisco

- open
franky0
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Thinking of moving to san francisco

Post by franky0 »

So basically my gf really needs to move to the USA to be closer to her family and we thought San Francisco would be a nice place to live. Both of us have jobs that allow us to work from wherever we are so we can choose whatever city we want to live in. I've been to san francisco before and liked it better than anywhere else I went in the US.

We currently live in Berlin and absolutely love it, so much amazing art, music and culture happening here right now. I know theres a pretty good minimal scene happening in SF, but what about other types of electronic music and are there alot of underground events as well? I'm into stuff like dubstep, dub, (good)electro, other types of techno, psy trance etc etc.
fatphilb
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by fatphilb »

my brother lives there, never actually been out clubbing there (family seems to take over when Im over there, plenty time to go back and sample the nightlife when my bro doesn't live there anymore) but I came across a site http://blipswitch.net/ when i was researching possible clubbing soirées.

theres decent info on listings there, as well as non touristy SF info, ive seen a couple of threads offering advice on moving there as well, nice areas to live in etc. so could be handy for you.
never underestimate the power of denial...
http://www.myspace.com/fatphilb
Android
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Android »

one of my good friends and his g/f are moving out there in two weeks, they go clubbing a lot, they'd definitely like to know the hot spots too
miroslav
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miroslav »

SF is a great city, I go there a lot... lots of culture there, lots to do. Expensive as hell, but that's to be expected. I might move there myself soon.

SF gets a lot of big name dance music coming through, but most of those names are quite housey and commercial. There is still a decent share of minimal/techno acts, especially when compared to most major US cities. But it couldn't ever compare to Berlin. The End Up and Mighty have both had some good shows this year and they are both on Residentadvisor.

http://www.residentadvisor.net/club-detail.aspx?id=4005

http://www.residentadvisor.net/club-detail.aspx?id=1320
apanell
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by apanell »

sutekh lives in san francisco, enough said :D
check out "kontrol" parties, these are really the only minimal parties i know of in sf
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Thinking of moving to san francisco

Post by livecollective »

franky0 wrote:So basically my gf really needs to move to the USA to be closer to her family and we thought San Francisco would be a nice place to live. Both of us have jobs that allow us to work from wherever we are so we can choose whatever city we want to live in. I've been to san francisco before and liked it better than anywhere else I went in the US.

We currently live in Berlin and absolutely love it, so much amazing art, music and culture happening here right now. I know theres a pretty good minimal scene happening in SF, but what about other types of electronic music and are there alot of underground events as well? I'm into stuff like dubstep, dub, (good)electro, other types of techno, psy trance etc etc.

Join the club. I live in SF and its great.

For techno we have some of the biggest nights in the country I'd say.

There are parties weekly, with some great talent gracing the city.

222 hyde, paradise lounge, the endup (kontrol), the blipswitch and auralism parties, black market techno, I could go on for a while.

There is a ton of stuff to do, and you mentioned you like dubstep, well there is a monthly party that is the best of techno and the best of dubstep. Pretty lush lineups.

Great place to live, the city is amazing for live music and talented djs/producers.

As for teh dubstep scene here, we are home to some of the genres biggest producers. Its a fairly large scene. Its well represented at least.
petekay
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by petekay »

Taken from RA:

Clubbing in San Francisco

Lee Burridge recently described it as having the potential to become America's equivalent of Berlin for electronic music. RA's San Francisco correspondent Jack O'Shaughnessy can't help but agree.

http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature- ... px?id=1005
miroslav
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miroslav »

as it turns out, looks like I'll be moving to San Francisco in April! :o

I just got laid off from my job in Kansas (a horrible place to be, anyways). I saw it coming, so I've been preparing for this... My gf works out in SF. We have a serious relationship and we've been trying to close the distance gap between us...might as well use this opportunity to do so!

here's hoping I can find a job again some day... sigh.