staying in touch with the club scene as a producer

- ask away
xxmmxx
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

staying in touch with the club scene as a producer

Post by xxmmxx »

I am 30 years old now and i've been making music for about 7 years, I have found that as I have become a better producer over the years the less I have felt like mingling with the 'punters'
As I have gotten older, the excitement of clubbing has diminished and these days i find it very hard to cough up big bucks to see some big shot superstar DJ when they come to play in my area. To the average 18 year old crowd, they don't mind lining up outside the club for half an hour in the rain, then pay a cover charge to get in the club, then pay money for the cloak room, then pay heaps of money for drinks, but I'm kind of getting over the scene. It's kind of an interesting feeling since I am so passionate about the music, and at the end of the day this is my 'target audience' and yet I have nothing in common with them, i'm older, wiser and don't get excited about the concept. The weird thing is how can i possibly make club music without actually being part of the scene? what will i do when I'm 40? etc.
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

that's normal mate. you still know how to party. you've just reached an age where you're not searching for thrills and you're not about to be milked by the next over-hyped party/club. like for instance, I would love to be at The End for Hawtin this Saturday but I ain't gonna subject myself to the bullshit of queueing outside and then being squashed inside just to hear him play a load of predictable stuff and cut the bass for 20 seconds while I can't get to the bar.

As a producer i reckon it's better to stand back from it all anyway - you can see more clearly.
S
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S »

making the music is a big part of the scene no :roll: you will boogie again old one!
luke78
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by luke78 »

I'm 30 too, but really enjoy the clubbing side of things. For me it feels like its a chance to hear the music as its originally intended, and to see an artist perform - especially if it is a live set.

I don't feel that I need to identify with the other people in the club, as how many of them are as into techno as most of the people that would read and post on this board. Ocasionally when I overhear some fellow techno-nerds talking about the music I'll go and have a chat, but otherwise I'll just keep myself to myself and enjoy the tunes.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i live and breath dance music, its an all-engulfing passion for me.
i'm 53 and the only thing which stops me going clubbing every weekend is the fact that i live in the middle of nowhere 80 miles from any city, but i still get out partying any chance i can.
i didnt get into techno till i was 38, then i lived in a city and i was out clubbing 3 nights a week.

its not about age or wisdom bro, thats you being brainwashed into conforming to societies plan for your gradual demise, but the reason i can sympathise with you is that the clubbing experience can often be un-wholesome, especially in big cities, but scratch the surface and you'll find all manner of underground events, where instead of being buffetted around on a 'dance'floor where its impossible to dance, you'll find cool people freely expressing themselves, people you can communicate with.

maybe you might have to travel or dig deep to find them, but i can guarantee there will be like-minded people out there.
dont give up on the scene mate, you cant make music for a scene if you dont have any connection with it.
sounds like the clubbing scene has left you jaded, its quite common, i feel the same way about about the big gangster run cattlemarkets where you can only usually catch safe or commercial artists.

the underground is where its happening, get involved !!!
youre only 30 for gods sake.
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

Im only 23 and i dont go clubbing very often, for 4 reasons;

1.Work - (working weekends is normal)
2. The Mrs (she likes "electro" house)
3. Most nights are wank (too much branding, too many idiots, too much minus
4. I have more FUN at the pub!

I used to go religoulsy from 16-22, but over the past year, i just dont seem to have the time or energy to go out week in, week out.

Its different for everbody, but we all like minimal, so less is more, right?
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:Im only 23 and i dont go clubbing very often, for 4 reasons;

1.Work - (working weekends is normal)
2. The Mrs (she likes "electro" house)
3. Most nights are wank (too much branding, too many idiots, too much minus
4. I have more FUN at the pub!

I used to go religoulsy from 16-22, but over the past year, i just dont seem to have the time or energy to go out week in, week out.

Its different for everbody, but we all like minimal, so less is more, right?
I'm 23 too and I don’t go out as much as I used too. I would much rather spend a nice evening in with my girlfriend then go out and get on it. I think its a combination for me though. The music I'm into doesn't get played a lot in London, the drugs are not as good and many of the nights I enjoy are rammed pack so you can barely move. Every time I go out I'm simply asking people when can we go home and listen to music. The best part of a night out for me is getting home and playing my own records. That part of the night is when the most fun happens. I can sit down control the music and have a nice chat with my friends. The Saturday just gone we got back at 4am and I stopped playing music at 8pm so as you can see I love that part.
WYRL
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by WYRL »

The 'scene' to me has always been about being able to entertain yourself and your friends first and foremost.My friends and I have spent years collecting music,learning how to make sounds and building sound systems to share our love for it and to get our kicks without having to rely on clubs as such.It's always been a mission and a way of life rather than something to grow out of.Thing do change as you get older tho!Enjoy the ride and maybe look for other things that get you excited again because 30 is still young!-)
"only so many songs can be sung with two lips two lungs and one tongue" NOMEANSNO

http://soundcloud.com/wyrl