How many channels/send do you tend to use??

- ask away
Sphere42
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

How many channels/send do you tend to use??

Post by Sphere42 »

I know, I know it's always different, but I just wanna know. For me, eight-ten channels / 2 sends do the thing, each channel with one sample/loop or synth, one send with delay, second send with reverb, nothing on master.

And what about you ?
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

I have a channel for every single element on its own as I like control each sound individually. I then have 2-3 sends, normally delay, reverb and a filter as well as routing certain parts of the track to one single channel with effects on. Something simple like a filter would be on this channel and maybe just the drums routed to it so I can filter the drums during the track. I work with samples so I would probably take a sample and split it; for example I would have the low frequency parts of the sample on one channel and the high frequency parts of the same sample on another channel, then route it back to one channel with the effects on. I never have anything on the Master as it needs to be taken off anyways when sending to the mastering engineer to press onto vinyl.
SHAP
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by SHAP »

Most of the time I use 15-25 Channels....
Roqqert
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Roqqert »

using lots of busses and sends... I also like to have individual control on the send. otherwise it sounds like 1 reverb delay mess with the same kinds of settings all the time. Mostly 10 to 15 sends lots of channels for samples/synths and 10 busses mostly
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NoAffiliation »

::BLM:: wrote:I would probably take a sample and split it; for example I would have the low frequency parts of the sample on one channel and the high frequency parts of the same sample on another channel, then route it back to one channel with the effects on
how exactly? are you sending the same signal of the sample to different channels and just filtering them differently to remix in another single channel?

thanks for sharing btw

i usually have around 8-10 channels with a few sends... reverb, smartelectronix stuff, delay, maybe compression

sometimes i use a light multiband on the master just because i like the sound of it while working and it gives me an idea of where it can go after im done with it
Last edited by NoAffiliation on Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Petar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Petar »

probably he puts it as ''send only'' 8)
boudo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by boudo »

20-25 channels, usually two sends, with reverb and delay. Every single sound get it's own channel.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

i hate too many channels (hangover from 4 track days perhaps?) so usually try and keep it down to 10 or under, bouncing stuff over all the time. then again my produtions are fairly shambolic.