Link between INDIE & MINIMAL !?

- ask away
derotter
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Link between INDIE & MINIMAL !?

Post by derotter »

Hi

I’m really digging right now the stuff from indie artists, like for instance Animal Collective, Black Dice, Gang Gang Dance etc…Experimental with a lot of samples.

Panda Bear : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X1eU6MdpZ8

Black Dice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9FhWlkGFb0

I’d like combining it with minimal I’m enjoying (Lee Curtiss, Pronsato, (a)pendics.shuffle, Stävostrand, Pheek…). Pantha du Prince made it with his mix on Electronic Beats (with sounds from Burial, Autechre, Panda Bear…).

Well, I have already a traditionnal DJ-setup (two Technics, a Xone 92 and a RedSound Soundbite) I’d like moving away from (I’m looking for sthg portable)…I mean, just using my laptop,a software and maybe my looper to make the link-up between minimal and indie music…

Which software (Ableton, Traktor Pro) do you advise?

Thanks & cheers from Berlin
:!:

Vincent
Evad
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Evad »

it doesn't matter what you use, but how you use it.
test it and make your own decision.
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

your idea sounds wank, indie sucks ;)
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by skept »

techno + rock has already been done and done quite well at that. see jake fairley and pan/tone.

oh sorry i meant mnml and indie hahaha.
Dopplereffekt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dopplereffekt »

Laptop folk is very interesting and nice stuff. Which should inspire minimal artists.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

the term indie is a horrible one, but under it there is some great music (as well as some afwul music).

Obviously not everyone has the same tastes, but imo a lot of music made by some people who are termed 'indie' are making music that I feel is as innovative and passionately interesting as some of their electronic music counterparts.

Animal Collective for example, i think are immense. wide variety of expression, interesting rhythm and explorations of musical techniques. in fact they are heavily influenced by some EDM and always blend their live perfomances very much like a dj would.

SOme of the post-rock dudes are amazing as well. The people of Constellation records Like Godspeed for instance. REally powerful music.

Also the guys from Elephant 6 Collective . And Fennesz & Caribou.

to each his own i guess.