Thinner goes to paid downloads: here my reply to them!

- free art
eldino
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Thinner goes to paid downloads: here my reply to them!

Post by eldino »

Did you read last article on Thinnerism about Thinner future? Yes? Ok, read my reply to it:

http://eldino.wordpress.com/2008/12/07/ ... l-article/

(original article linked in my post) and if you like, share your vision in the comments.

Thinner goes half-commercial.. It's the end of an era.
This is the first time I'm so happy there is still so much netaudio music I didnt download & listen yet... (I own just 316Gb of it..).

Regards,
Rubèn (aka eldino)
http://eldino.wordpress.com
numbworks _AT_ gmail _DOT_ com
iTunes, Scripting, Creative Commons, Netlabels, Mac & more: http://eldino.wordpress.com
zkreso
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by zkreso »

A bit sad, but it's very easy to understand why they did it if you read the blog post on thinner.

A netlabel ultimately depends on musicians. However, musicians aren't abundant, and especially not good musicians. If releasing an album on physical medium or a netlabel is mutually exclusive, netlabels must offer something in exchange that is perceived as more valuable by the musician in question than what the physical label can offer, in order for them to stay. Doesn't have to be money, can be friendship or sense of belonging to a culture as you mentioned, or promotion or booking services. But ultimately, it's up to the musician to choose, and I think it's very easy to blame people for being "sell-outs" if you don't produce music for a living yourself.
net stop wuauserv
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

imagine the cost of hosting a few hundred gigs of audio, the bandwidth from people downloading, the time it takes for the thinner guys to master the releases, the time it takes to make interactive and animated cover artwork....

thinner is run on a lot of hard work and time. they don't skimp on any details, all aspects of their website and releases are created with a professional standard, they deserve to make money on it and the artists deserve pay.

i'm glad to hear that thinner is expanding operations : )
infernal.techno
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by infernal.techno »

yeah this is anything but bad news
- matt
revy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by revy »

I think thinner more than deserves a bit of compensation for all their hard work and all they've done for the netlabel scene. I'd bet what they earn will go into even higher quality releases in the future.
Hugues31
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hugues31 »

revy wrote:I think thinner more than deserves a bit of compensation for all their hard work and all they've done for the netlabel scene.
For sure, they've done their job !

We can't blame them, most of the good things have a price... and they will still releasing free netrelease !
Look at the great job done by unfoundsound/foundsound ! What a great label and a quality netlabel !!!
eldino wrote: Will you start paying for your lovely netaudio stuff or will you just keep downloading it for free from free netlabels?
If it s quality release yes i will !
eldino
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by eldino »

pafufta816 wrote:imagine the cost of hosting a few hundred gigs of audio, the bandwidth from people downloading, the time it takes for the thinner guys to master the releases, the time it takes to make interactive and animated cover artwork....

thinner is run on a lot of hard work and time. they don't skimp on any details, all aspects of their website and releases are created with a professional standard, they deserve to make money on it and the artists deserve pay.
1. They don't pay hosting neither bandwidth, coz releases are hosted on scene.org.
2. They don't release so many albums/ep yearly compared to other good netlabels out here, so there is not so much time to spend.
3. Animated cover artworks can be easily replaced by a common unanimated artwork. The website will be also lighter (Flash sucks cpu).

There are many other professional-quality netlabels out there: Ideology, Aerotone, Antiritmo, Camomille, Kahvi.. to name a few. Doing a HOBBY following professional standards doesn't mean that u deserve money. If you want money for your hobby, it's not a hobby.

I hope that other netlabels will not follow Thinner example or netaudio scene will be backfucked without lubeing first.

I did a little flyer to show the concept:

If you like netaudio culture and free content sharing movement, you CAN'T like this decision. Many other netlabels could follow Thinner steps and soon we will not have more good, fresh, original music to download for free. How can you happy of this? Bah.
iTunes, Scripting, Creative Commons, Netlabels, Mac & more: http://eldino.wordpress.com
thomasjaldemark
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thomasjaldemark »

Just because they dont release as many releases a year doesnt mean they spend less time on it, just more time on each release. I know they put a lot of effort into every thing they do.

And that "comic" strip is just hilarious... feels like a 5year old whining because your mommy didnt buy you any candy in the supermarket...

:x

eldino wrote:
pafufta816 wrote:imagine the cost of hosting a few hundred gigs of audio, the bandwidth from people downloading, the time it takes for the thinner guys to master the releases, the time it takes to make interactive and animated cover artwork....

1. They don't pay hosting neither bandwidth, coz releases are hosted on scene.org.
2. They don't release so many albums/ep yearly compared to other good netlabels out here, so there is not so much time to spend.
3. Animated cover artworks can be easily replaced by a common unanimated artwork. The website will be also lighter (Flash sucks cpu).

There are many other professional-quality netlabels out there: Ideology, Aerotone, Antiritmo, Camomille, Kahvi.. to name a few. Doing a HOBBY following professional standards doesn't mean that u deserve money. If you want money for your hobby, it's not a hobby.

I hope that other netlabels will not follow Thinner example or netaudio scene will be backfucked without lubeing first.

I did a little flyer to show the concept:

If you like netaudio culture and free content sharing movement, you CAN'T like this decision. Many other netlabels could follow Thinner steps and soon we will not have more good, fresh, original music to download for free. How can you happy of this? Bah.