It might be nice if the LABELS section was split in 2??

- open
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

It might be nice if the LABELS section was split in 2??

Post by mlexicon »

i was wondering what you all thought...

i check it out, but find myself totally overwhelmed by release after release...

i like to know which labels are really backing their artists with a solid vinyl release

i find that usually a vinyl release tends to be more....finished?...professional?

something

so what im saying is....I would like for their to be a DIGITAL RELEASE sections and a VINYL RELEASE section
signatures suck
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

not a bad idea.
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

i second this proposition although not for the same reasons. I dont agree that vinyl releases are more finished or better. I somehow spend as much time on the promo and details for a digital release than a physical. The only thing that takes us more time is the follow-up on production. That has nothing to do with the music quality.
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

If u all start buidling walls now - they are gonna be hard to take down later.

Pheek's right , there's often no difference in quality on digital and vinyl labels from a production point of view, it's a question of good label or bad label.

Many labels are digitally re:issuing material which was previously only available in small quantities on vinyl, as someone who's got a lot of old vinyl and would prefer to get a digital copy than rip an old crackly bit of vinyl which has been played one time too many (I've been digitizing a lot of vinyl later and 1st up - it's really boring if you have thousands of records, and second up - it's horrible to hear that big acid sound destroyed by a few well aimed hot rock burns on your vinyl)

You can say - ohh that's terrible , you should look after it, but I'd say - f@ck off and live, the path of a techno warrior is not all kittens and champagne.

So yeah - for me, seeing labels like synwave segragated into a digital release area and treated by simpletons as being second rate music would kill me - I'd boycott the forum for sure, it's bad enough that new wave pretenders get all the hype compared to the real innovators as it is but this would be one step to far IMO.

Rah rah rah etc :)

(no offense intended to anyone - I think the proposition is fair but I would not like to see this as I think it would start a trend which idiotic people would interpret as - digitally released music is second rate).
Krul
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Krul »

Wouldn't that mean a lot of double posts?
Otherwise it's a solid idea, the labels section is too overwhelming.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

I tend to agree with the first post of the thread, but also agree VERY much with the points set out by AVX23.
Hard to say, but true, there are TONS of new threads every day in the label section.
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by stevësto »

it doesnt sound like mlexicon is talking about production or sound quality. i think what he's saying is that tracks that are "exclusively vinyl only" releases tend to be better overall tracks than ones that are released both on digital and vinyl and especially definitely more likely to be better than a digital only release.

isnt this common sense? its much easier for any kid to make some crap music and start his own label from his bedroom with his own crappy songs on it. but for a vinyl label to choose a song to release they are going to be a lot more picky because of the time and money invested to do so. and wouldnt it make sense for a vinyl label to take the tracks that werent good enough and make them "digital only" releases? it certainly seems that way, because most of the digital only releases from vinyl labels tend to sound like the left over crap that wasn't good enough for vinyl. personally i would rather have a track with bad sound quality or amateur production techniques but has a GREAT idea, theme, melody, etc. for example, orbital - chime, one of the greatest tracks ever released, was made with tape recorders in a basement.

i have hope for the future, i really do. i think the over saturation of digital tracks that has made good tracks get lost in the sea of crap will soon come to an end. more producers will get tired of losing money from soulseek and illegal downloads and realize that by releasing exclusively on vinyl is the way to go. the number of releases will go way down, making the dj's life so much easier. quality will go up. dancefloors will fill back up. producers will get paid. everyone wins.

we're moving into an era where everyone is looking back at the past to see what worked back then. you can see it in the tracks coming out now like on cecile that are like a revamped version of deep house of the old days. im hoping vinyl makes a similiar comeback and there is a "vinyl only movement" alliance of producers that will happen.

i support the idea of splitting the labels subforum, but maybe in 3 sections: vinyl only, vinyl+digital, digital only.
gillsans
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by gillsans »

I will post a note in the mods forum. I agree with the idea of splitting it up.
Keepin' the beats deep in the groove bunker