English speakers working in Germany??

- open
boudo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by boudo »

Marcus Stork wrote:
Evad Streaklov wrote:
Marcus Stork wrote:As long as you don't mention the war.. ;-)
hehe, basil fawlty for president!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k7U-_tJVmw
Haha i love that one.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

G3rard wrote:My ex-girlfriend worked a gap year in Germany for a large company and on her first day she went for lunch with the Managing Director.

After making small talk they got onto what she was studying in University. She studied German Language and History (in her first year) so the manging director asked what period of history she studied. She had actually studied World War 1 & 2 and 20th Century German History but as she didnt really want to say this she panicked and said The Middle Ages. This just happened to be the Managing Directors area of expertise. After reeling a story about some middle age war he found most interesting.
His next question was what was her favourite period of The Middle Ages not having a clue and after a long silence she said...The Middle Middle Ages. He looked at her stupid, they never went for lunch or had a conversation on history again. :D

great story.
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by kristofason »

Great this threads gone southwards.....

anyone got anything informative to add?!!
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

A friend of mine moved over there about 6 months ago. He is still unemployed and is finding it very hard. Best bet is to find a job before you go I think.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

::BLM:: wrote:A friend of mine moved over there about 6 months ago. He is still unemployed and is finding it very hard. Best bet is to find a job before you go I think.
as in probably every city/country, you can live there with your english, but if you want to have a 'normal/decent' job, you should at least learn just the basic of the language... IMO
vermi
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by vermi »

patrick bateman wrote: as in probably every city/country, you can live there with your english, but if you want to have a 'normal/decent' job, you should at least learn just the basic of the language... IMO
you're not the only one with that opinion..

to be honest i think one should (even) try to learn more than just the basics. if you intend to stay in another country for a long time (and live there, not just as a tourist) it doesn't hurt to learn the language, and it's not like it's so fucking difficult either. it only requires that one scarifies some time every now and then.
jaco
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jaco »

a friend of mine lived in dusseldorf for 1 year and worked in restaurant as a chef; she still doesn't speak any german...
i think you have to find jobs where you don't deal with the customer (bartender in restaurants or in the kitchen for ex) or even job that requires you to speak in english (a friend of mine works at the easyjet callcenter in berlin).
the best advice i can give you is to move to germany find a shitty job than start a german class...
i've been living in berlin since 1 month and im still unemployed, but i guess is just because my lazy ass...:lol:
Michael^Heaven
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Michael^Heaven »

Marcus Stork wrote:As long as you don't mention the war.. ;-)
http://video.canadiancontent.net/437206 ... -tour.html

:lol:
"So knives out
Cook him up
Squash his head
Put him in the pot "-jz