Humming noise using FS2

- ask away
Sneaky
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Humming noise using FS2

Post by Sneaky »

For some reason when using Final Scratch 2 (and it dont matter wether its FS2 or Tractor 2.6) I get a humming noise when switching from line to phono or when switching from using final scratch to spinning regular vinyl, I was wondering if anyone else experienced this same sort of thing? I thought I read somewhere that you need to ground your laptop to the mixer as well but to me that only makes sense if you got the humming noise all the time, so if anyone has any help I appreciate it :)
jspr
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by jspr »

I have it too, but not as much as before.
Just unplug your Firewire cable and you will see it's gone (it's a "computer" noize).
Also try to move the cinch cables to the mixer, you will hear that the noise increases and decreases. Just find the right position.

When i'm mixing I don't hear it anymore, It works fine actually.
Sneaky
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Sneaky »

Thanks will try that :)
fader
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fader »

you can take away the ground loop noise by using an extra ungrounded power cable and a splitter on your mixer in stead of using the scratchamp
dunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dunkel »

my friend got so pissed from these noises she recorded it , and made a serious noise track out of it. she said she's going to send it to the guys in stanton, but i think she better send it to an electronic label :lol:
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989
brianc
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by brianc »

Huh, I guess I got lucky. I've never had any problems with FS and static/buzzing/humming.
fader
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fader »

you only have it when you (have to) plug your laptop powercord into the same power circuit as your other audio stuff. i only had this after two years when i changed the set up of my appartment and moved my gear to another corner

1.5 euros of splitters and an ungrounded powercord i got from a friend saved the thing, tell your friend ;)

ps: splitters don't work on small mixers like pioneer, there you need another 'adaptor'-wire
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

This is quite simply groundloop hum. There are various solutions mentioned here already. I had a similar problem when playing live and started off this interesting thread - you may find it informative:

http://www.littledetroit.net/forums/vie ... php?t=9754

I have just recently played with the same set-up at the same venue - this time I ran the laptop off the battery - no mains power supply at all and there was no humming/buzzing noise. Happy days.