Matthew Dear sound

- ask away
LetsGoOutside
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Matthew Dear sound

Post by LetsGoOutside »

dunkel wrote:how can i get this compressed sound without hearthing my ears?
compress the f*¢k out of sounds that don't have any of these "painful" frequencies to begin with (or only populate a very, very small frequency range in said painful area).

i assume you are refering to his audion works, right?
dunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dunkel »

actually also to the more glitch stuff he did as metthew dear i.e 'but for you'
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989
dunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dunkel »

I still have this problem, I cant figure out where are the annoying frequencies, anyone here can tell where does the high hearts the most?
(assuming your not a deaf dj)
oh, and thanx, I hear an improvment already :wink:
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989
tsod
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tsod »

hmm why dont you post some of your samples.. this would help us understand..
[ññP]
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by [ññP] »

what frequences hurt the most??
well...the high freqs bring problems...but sometimes that's not the problem...
the frecuencies that are worse are the resonant frequencies that are so resonant that almost stand as a single frequence.
Then again, to my ear...the worse hi frequencies are arround 12k, but that could be different in other people...
The really high freqs...like 18k or nearing 20k do not bother much since they stop being audible.
que son esos ruiditos?
dunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dunkel »

THANK U!!
I was looking around 10k but I had a hunch It's higher :wink:
emsley
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by emsley »

when you're having a problem w some frequencies that are really sharp or harmonically harsh...take a parametric eq plug-in...set the "Q" to a high value (high = sharp) and turn the gain on that freq. band up. Then sweep the band up and down the frequency range until you find the harsh sounds...then with the Q still set high reverse the gain and subtly take drown out the frequency you want to cut out. Takes a lot of practice, but you'll be able to notice a difference.

Emsley
Cans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Cans »

emsley wrote:when you're having a problem w some frequencies that are really sharp or harmonically harsh...take a parametric eq plug-in...set the "Q" to a high value (high = sharp) and turn the gain on that freq. band up. Then sweep the band up and down the frequency range until you find the harsh sounds...then with the Q still set high reverse the gain and subtly take drown out the frequency you want to cut out. Takes a lot of practice, but you'll be able to notice a difference.

Emsley
Or you could just learn what compression is and how to use it.

The problem with so many of the producers on this forum is that they are tryiung to emulate others rather than finding their own sound... I've seen countless threads about Richie's effects or the Matthew Dear sound... stop worrying about them and start worrying about your own effects and your own sound.