that 'wet' sound...

- ask away
simonfromuk
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

that 'wet' sound...

Post by simonfromuk »

I really like production that sounds really 'wet'... villalobos has the sound down pat (am thinking 'Theogenese' off the Alcacahofa LP as a pointer), and there's a track that Pheek's done on Thinner 76 called 'Dub Trail' that has the same kind of quality in the kicks.

What's the story? Is it just really expensive effects units or what?
fredrik_h
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fredrik_h »

with no reference to the tracks you mentioned:

there's a couple ways to get a wet sound I guess, first off it has alot of to do with what kind of sound you put in ofcourse, lowpass filtering percussion sounds might be an idea, or use samples which sound wet from the start (I've tried sampling water drips and it worked very well).

for what goes for effects I've always loved the classic cheap lo-fi springreverb sound, which you hear in many old reaggae/dub records. these reverbs has a wet wobbly & dirty metallic ring to it, and make sure you get a spring reverb which doesn't have a z-formation with the springs, because this will destroy the wobbliness, and it gives a cleaner/more static sound - which you don't want.

anyway, you might want to use another "normal" reverb on top of it to smooth it out a bit or make it larger. playing around with delays might be a good idea to get that bubbly feel to it and blablablabla...

you get the idea, just play around and find your own way.
(clichè warning) ;)
Last edited by fredrik_h on Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[ññP]
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by [ññP] »

fredrikburok wrote:a spring reverb which doesn't have a z-formation with the springs
what does that "z-formation" means??
:roll:
que son esos ruiditos?
fredrik_h
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fredrik_h »

it means that the metallic-springs inside of the reverb are set in a formation of the letter Z which is a way to prevent the wobbliness. which in my opinion is the real charm with a spring reverb - the worse the wobbliness is the better ;)

if we skip all this technical stuff I'd say aslong as you know how a wet/wobbly sound sounds like you can achieve it, it's just a matter of how good your patience is, and how much free time you got ;)

and usually you bump into stuff while trying these things out which leads you into another path which you find more suiting even though it might not sound like you originally meant, but better and that's the fun part of composing electronic music in my opinion.

EDIT:

conclusion, no - you don't need no expensive units - and if you take my advice - you actually need dirt-cheap units ;) ... you can pull out a crappy spring reverb out of an old guitar-amp or some ol' electric organ or something.
Last edited by fredrik_h on Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fredrik_h
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fredrik_h »

last advice I can come up with: I guess you can use alot of granular stuff to make the bubbly sound more organic or so....

some other ideas, anyone?
[ññP]
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by [ññP] »

yeah...for that wet sound, a nice low pass filter with some resonance....but, the final touch would be some small attack for that filter, so then you'll have a clear sound at the beginning, and then it's like the filter eats the sound....it sometimes sounds as objects falling into water :roll:
que son esos ruiditos?
fredrik_h
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fredrik_h »

exactly, that's what I meant. so it sort of zaps, but be careful with the resonance otherwise it might get too zappy.
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

Also, try throwing a pile of wild delay effects over top of that filtered sound. I love using MjRotoDelay.
Fool around with the Mod. Depth and Mod. Rate...it's absolutely crazy.

A great place to find a pile of stutter/buffer/warping/destruction VSTs is Smartelectronix. There is just a pile of ill effects on that site. And they are free!!!