Synth recommendations

- ask away
nrjizer
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Synth recommendations

Post by nrjizer »

I'm looking to expand my collection of hardware synths and gradually get a nice little home studio going. The problem is, living in bumfuck nowhere doesn't give me much opportunity to shop for synths and try them out in person, so I'm looking for some recommendations.

I really like the sounds of artists like Vince Watson, Satoshi Fumi, Funk D'Void, Aril Brikha, etc, so I'd like to get some instruments that have a penache for those sorts of sounds (if you search any of those guys in youtube you'll get some samples).

I'm open to both older synths and newer synths (I love em all), just preferably things that I can still get my hands on and that don't cost a total fortune. I currently have a Nord Rack 2.

Thanks for the input.
STML
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by STML »

I would honestly recommend a Roland Alpha Juno or MKS-50 (rack mount version). You won't get one with the programmer for cheap, but without the programmer, you can pick them up for next to nothing (in value terms) on ebay. There are apps for both windows and mac that will replace the programmer with ease, and map MIDI CC to the various synth parameters.

It just has a really good sound, imo, and not at all overused, although I do hear it on a lot of tunes. It's a bit of an unsung hero.
MarkA
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MarkA »

i'd recommend gettiing what fucking ever synth you can freely download and using a preset to make whatever sound you can. In the long run noone cares, and if you dont make a thread about it noone will actually notice...
verdisQUO
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by verdisQUO »

Virus-C or if you have the cash, and or can find one, Obrehiem Matrix-12. <<< You will be super happy if you can get a hold of one of these. TRUST!!!
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

you've already got the synth aril brika uses, nord 2.

my recommendation is the awesome Moog Voyager RME, its the best synth ive ever had.
if you cant afford one of those,

cheapies ; Roland Juno 106, analogue / digital hybrid, but sounds analogue.
nrjizer
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by nrjizer »

steevio wrote: my recommendation is the awesome Moog Voyager RME, its the best synth ive ever had.
if you cant afford one of those,
Yeah the Voyagers are absolutely beautiful. I deinately plan on picking one up someday when I can drop the cash. :)
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

what kind of synth are you looking for?
analog (monophonic/polyphonic/semi-modular)?
virtual analog?
vintage?

if we just throw names it will never end.
nrjizer
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by nrjizer »

I suppose I have a preference for polyphonics, since I'm a sucker for nice deep chords. But I'm open to monophonic suggestions too. I have no preference between analog/virtual. I'd preferably like to get something second hand that won't cost an arm and a leg.

I know I'm not being terribly specific, but I don't know a whole lot about individual synths because I rarely get a chance to try any. If I could rob Vince Watson, Satoshi Fumi, and Funk D'Void's studios, I'd be set. I'm not sure exactly what instruments they're using, but I just know that I love the lush sounds they use in their productions and would like to get some synths that do well with that sound/style.