How do you make steam noises for bridging?

- ask away
nicktem
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

How do you make steam noises for bridging?

Post by nicktem »

Bit of a noob question but i was wondering how people make steam noises in tracks, mostly used to bridge parts or push a track along. Only example that comes to mind is the steam noises heard in "Matt Star - Von Ton Zu Ton " http://mp3.juno.co.uk/MP3/SF231226-01-02-02.mp3 or the flip to this the big monster where its got bigger steam noises,
or any modern techno track really?

Are steam noises even the right word for these?
Octopi
-------------------------------------
Nordin
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Nordin »

you mean just white noise?
Camel
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Camel »

Sometimes, I tend to put a snare (any white noise will do) at the first kick after a break. Drown that snare with reverb and you get a typical Dubfire-big-room-type-steam effect thing I think you're after..
colinstark
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by colinstark »

those are analogue snares consisting of white noise. you can do this with tal-62 or drumatic3 or just use a white noise sample.
Dusk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dusk »

Anyone can do white noise sweeps, rips and thwips but I hear some longer, more intense and kind of repeating (think steam "gushing out" over say 8 bars at the same intensity) versions in some tracks and those, I don't know how to make. Ive tried layering lots of white noise samples with long releases and automating filter cutoffs etc, but it never sounds right.
Some music:
www.myspace.com/cloakmusic

Reviews, news and more:
www.inverted-audio.co.uk
bum-tak
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by bum-tak »

1. go to your granny's place
2. steal her old fashioned kettle
3. put the kettle on a plate, after u filled it with water
4. heat it up (might take a while)
5. as soon as the kettle starts to whistle "pffff" you got your steam noise
6. grab your mobile recording device and tape it
7. ta-ra, you got the perfect sound/tool to create the craziest breakdowns ever, which will make the crowd go berzerk!

(-)
very bomb ep congrats @ all
ArhiteK
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ArhiteK »

Why don't You try to destroy some kind of pad sound with bunch of distortions, try to lower its bit and sample rate (redux in live) etc, until it gets like really hard noise.

Then, You can put phaser or flanger somewhere in a chain, and in the end filter or EQ so You use just the right freqs... Reverb in the chain can be interesting also. In the end it is best to flatten this chain...

As You make Your own noise, You can get some original texture to it, since white noise always sounds too sterile to me.
re.vise
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by re.vise »

Dusk wrote:Anyone can do white noise sweeps, rips and thwips but I hear some longer, more intense and kind of repeating (think steam "gushing out" over say 8 bars at the same intensity) versions in some tracks and those, I don't know how to make. Ive tried layering lots of white noise samples with long releases and automating filter cutoffs etc, but it never sounds right.
They add a extra snare behind the normal one with much more decay on it..