mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Steve Bug: INTERVIEWED

Post by e99 »

Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

Wow, the interview was actually somewhat interesting. It was nice to see his honest answers about Germany's influence on music, Trentemoller rising well beyond Pokerflat, and more.
Michael^Heaven
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re:

Post by Michael^Heaven »

What do you make of Richie Hawtin’s recent comments about copyright, and that people should be able to do whatever they want with artists’ music after a certain period has passed?
Steve Bug wrote:I never read that comment. I think copyrights should stay with the artist at least for his lifetime. I don’t want to see someone ripping my music and turning it into sh!t and making lot of money out of it. Can you imagine Plastikman’s Spastik with cheesy vocals on top? I can’t and I don’t even want to think about it!
I fully agree with Steve's comment here. Initially, when Richie had mentioned doing this during the Traktor presentation, his remark didn't sink in all the way. However, when I read a recent interview with Danny Howells, it got me thinking a bit & I completely agree with both Steve & Danny on this one.

Preferred method of mixing: Vinyl or CDs?
Danny Howells wrote:Both. I know in the eyes of people like Hawtin that makes me a luddite because I’m not pulling each tune to pieces, but I really believe that if a record’s great it doesn’t need dissecting.

Also it’s a bit of an insult to someone’s work if you’re gonna play their track and only use one bar of it!

I love hearing how other producers arrange their music; it gives me inspiration for when I come to arrange my own.
"So knives out
Cook him up
Squash his head
Put him in the pot "-jz
warren888k
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by warren888k »

interesting read
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re:

Post by stevësto »

Michael^Heaven wrote:What do you make of Richie Hawtin’s recent comments about copyright, and that people should be able to do whatever they want with artists’ music after a certain period has passed?
Steve Bug wrote:I never read that comment. I think copyrights should stay with the artist at least for his lifetime. I don’t want to see someone ripping my music and turning it into sht and making lot of money out of it. Can you imagine Plastikman’s Spastik with cheesy vocals on top? I can’t and I don’t even want to think about it!
I fully agree with Steve's comment here. Initially, when Richie had mentioned doing this during the Traktor presentation, his remark didn't sink in all the way. However, when I read a recent interview with Danny Howells, it got me thinking a bit & I completely agree with both Steve & Danny on this one.

Preferred method of mixing: Vinyl or CDs?
Danny Howells wrote:Both. I know in the eyes of people like Hawtin that makes me a luddite because I’m not pulling each tune to pieces, but I really believe that if a record’s great it doesn’t need dissecting.

Also it’s a bit of an insult to someone’s work if you’re gonna play their track and only use one bar of it!

I love hearing how other producers arrange their music; it gives me inspiration for when I come to arrange my own.
i fully disagree with Steve Bug and Danny Howells. many times a great remix happens because someone does it on their own without original artist's blessing/consent, and at first the original artist will be shocked and offended when they hear their baby taken apart and used for the remixer's purpose, but then the original artist will see the remix making the dancefloor work much better and becoming a huge hit and then they change their mind.

people should be able to do whatever the hell they want with music when they are dj'ing. you shouldn't have to scan the room to make sure the artist of the track you are about to cutup and lay vocals over is not in the room, or tell everyone to not youtube your set and keep it secret because the dj is about to do some illegal mixing! the same should apply for releasing a track that is heavily remixed.

what determines when a remix is blatant copyright infringement or practically unnoticeable elements used? that is for a judge in a court of law to decide.

and i would not mind vocals on top of spastik, steve bug should not be so strict in that regard.
e99
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by e99 »

Richie means though that you should be able to do whatever you want with anyone's music, release it and make money from it.

That's differnet from making your own bootlegs etc I think. i agree with Mr.Bug!
Del
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Del »

i fully disagree with Steve Bug and Danny Howells. many times a great remix happens because someone does it on their own without original artist's blessing/consent, and at first the original artist will be shocked and offended when they hear their baby taken apart and used for the remixer's purpose, but then the original artist will see the remix making the dancefloor work much better and becoming a huge hit and then they change their mind.
What about the other side of this though when someone does a bootleg or remix and it sounds awful and takes away from the original? Why would any artist have to or want to accept that? If it sounds good then the original artist would have no problem giving their blessing/consent although I'm sure there would be occasions when this would not be the case.

And for the record Spastik with vocals would indeed be absolute rubbish :?
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

It's a touchy subject. I find it annoying that a lot of people simply can't let a great track speak for itself. On the other hand, sometimes people do some things that add a needed boost-of-life to a track or mix. Overall, I think the copyright should stick with the producer until the producer chooses to release it