Mastering, Finalizing

- ask away
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

Exactly. All I do is EQ and adjust levels of each track in Ableton, and put a stereo enhancer and EQ on the master channel. No compression what so ever. I like my sound to be razor sharp.
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

Jesse Somfay wrote:Exactly. All I do is EQ and adjust levels of each track in Ableton, and put a stereo enhancer and EQ on the master channel. No compression what so ever. I like my sound to be razor sharp.
a stereo enhancer? this ain´t good for vinylmastering.
techno made me do it
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

I have not been asked by the mastering division of either Traum or Archipel to change it, so it's not a problem for them obviously. Plenty of records are mastered in stereo. It's just the low end which you need to watch more. Super stereo bass can make the needle pop out. I take this into consideration when mastering my own work before I let the labels do their work. I don't like the way my music sounds when it is more monotone than stereo.
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

as far as i know the mastering guy of traum prefers the tracks unmastered from the artist.
anyway....dunno what enhancer u use, but if it doesn´t enhances the bass it might be ok as a small addition. more (artificial)stereo means less possible loudness for the vinyl by the same soundquality
btw all records are mastered in stereo ;)
techno made me do it
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

I use PSP StereoEnhancer on more of a subtle setting. Just to give my tracks that extra spacial edge. For example, the width that say...a Luciano track has to it...his remix of M83 in particular. I try to go for that sort of spacial feeling as opposed to something a little less spacial...I probably should have said that instead of mono since records are pressed in stereo like you mentioned. When I EQ my tracks I use Ableton's on board EQ Four and tweak around a bit for the individual channels which need it most just to polish it. But I don't do too much of an EQ on the master channel. Just a little hi cut sometimes if I have a lot of hi end, or a mid cut or whatever...nothing dramatic though. The rest is up to the mastering people.

Oh, and regarding compression on the master channel of a track. I would definitely stay away from that. It muddies up the sound quite a bit. I think a year ago when I made my first 12" for Traum, I used a compressor in Fruity Loops and possibly a limiter of some sort. The record pressing was alright, but the bass et al sometimes overtook the hi end which isn't such a pleasing sound. So I no longer use compressors or limiters on anything. A careful and subtle EQ job on each seperate channel should do the job.

If you have a fairly in depth knowledge of proper pressing frequencies and whatnot, a spectral analyser can also help in sculpting your sound carefully. I suppose that is more of a thing that a vinyl masterer would do anyways though.
dunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dunkel »

anyone got more articles about 'home made' mastering ?
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

Google does ;)
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

the was an article in computer music..lately
maybe it´s somewhere as pdf :wink:
techno made me do it