Moving to Berlin, looking for gigs or work!

- ask away
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

laza wrote:sorry to say that but here in berlin are so many shitty djs, but they do well because they know people who know people. makes me sick
Welcome to the music business... or wait, welcome to life... ;)
laza
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by laza »

yeah i know, its not so sympathetic (does this word exist?) bitchin' about other dj's but living in berlin for quite some time i really have to say its really difficult for me finding partys with innovative techno. its just boring after hour minimal all day/night long. most of the djs dont take the risk doing something else here, maybe thats why im a little frustrated, especially at all open airs these days.

dont wanna call names, u know, after all maybe its just me :)
greets
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

the beauty with berlin is that there is always room for a new idea.

the free open airs do sport some tedious music sometimes, but there is nothing stopping anyone from organizing their own.

there are always excuses for not getting anywhere in a big city, but it always comes down to motivation, and im saying that as someone that has not exactly succeeded.
freeeeeee
ledualtr
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ledualtr »

interesting responses, but I still have a doubt: i know dj's are everywhere but, you are refering also to live acts? or is it less common to have live acts? playing live will give you a better opportunity for a gig and money?
H+¿?
northernlight
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by northernlight »

steevio wrote:everybody move to wales, cheapest part of the UK, good music, mountains, fresh air, cool creative people, very little crime,
best techno and house scene in europe !!!!!!!
lots of sheep !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

ledualtr wrote:interesting responses, but I still have a doubt: i know dj's are everywhere but, you are refering also to live acts? or is it less common to have live acts? playing live will give you a better opportunity for a gig and money?
live acts get paid more, btu if you play too often and your set is not updated much, you play yourself out. Best is to be a live act with music released on labels. Also, nobody cares if you haul or your studio or just bring a laptop and controller, just make them dance. Live acts are not booked for every party out there, but often enough that its not a novelty at all.
freeeeeee
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

There is an odd kind of danger in moving to a place like Berlin right now. From my experience it seems like allot of places in Europe seem to value novelty as much as they do talent. Right now by staying in Montreal you have both of those factors working for you. If you move to Berlin the novelty factor will be all gone in a few months then where does that leave you? I would rather fly in, rock the joint and then book the fck out. That would keep your market value higher there. So if you're basing your decision to move there on hoping for a career in techno i think you have made a miscalculation. However if you're going there for other purposes like some other sort of job and you plan to do the music on the side i think you'll probably have allot of fun.
Measax
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Measax »

Torque wrote:There is an odd kind of danger in moving to a place like Berlin right now. From my experience it seems like allot of places in Europe seem to value novelty as much as they do talent. Right now by staying in Montreal you have both of those factors working for you. If you move to Berlin the novelty factor will be all gone in a few months then where does that leave you? I would rather fly in, rock the joint and then book the fck out. That would keep your market value higher there. So if you're basing your decision to move there on hoping for a career in techno i think you have made a miscalculation. However if you're going there for other purposes like some other sort of job and you plan to do the music on the side i think you'll probably have allot of fun.
this is great advice in my opinion. an over saturated market can be tuff unless you were there from the start. I think its better to start things up in new places where little to no scene exists. its about spreading music culture to people who've been unexposed. electronic music still travels best by djs. most clubers don't go to beatport or really research the music like djs - so to go to a town where the music you want to dj (whatever kind of stuff that is) isn't as prevalent is a good thing (having some clubs in town no matter what they play also helps). but i know people who've gone and done well and others who haven't - talent never has been the reason for either - it boils down to networking. good luck.