whipping the slate clean

- ask away
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

whipping the slate clean

Post by tone-def »

Apart from the tracks i'm close to finishing i'm going to delete all the projects that didn't workout as i would have liked. i'm also going to delete as many synth presets as i can and all the sample libraries too. I'll even delete all my own sounds apart from a few i'm very proud of. The reason why? I don't want to be influenced by them. if i start again i can put all my knowledge and passion into making new samples. the samples i had made before were just learning the basics and the sample cd's and preset have been useful for learning how to compose electronic music and the basics of music production but now it's time for me to get serious. who's with me?
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

yeah this happened to me recently (more by accident though).

My backup hard drive failed and I lost all my old stuff, and actually it felt kind of good.

Maybe it's worth putting it on cd or something just in case, but definitely the feeling of leaving old stuff behind to just focus on the new was a good one.
eryx666
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eryx666 »

@tone-def - I'm with you bro, actually i was thinkin about it some time ago. It will be some step forward. Next target - more free time for beat makin :D
nospin
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by nospin »

when i was in a band in highschool, we had decided that during the week when we werent playing together, we'd come up with ideas on our own to show each other on the weekend
but we agreed not to write anything down, and figured that if we couldn't remember it, it probably wasn't very good.
i think its a very good idea.
i've got lots of "in progress" projects that i havent even touched in close to a year, might as well delete them
astley
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by astley »

mwah I wouldnt do that... Its nice to see my own progression, and sometimes I open an old track that I think is total sh!t, only take the good elements, apply my new skills, mute some stuff here and there and hopla its sounds a little more decent :)

at least burn it on a dvd
VanillaCamilla
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by VanillaCamilla »

agrred with astley, at least back it up on a dvd ...
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Yeah but i can always see how i've progressed buy listening to the tracks i finished
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

I would say it sounds a bit dramatic, but suit yourself man :-sta