What do you do for a job? (Music? Office? Collecting cans?)

- open

Do you make a living off your music, or something else?

I mostly make money from my music-related business
23%
I mostly make money from non-music-related businesses, or I make money as an employee of someone else's music business
77%

Total votes: 53

Castronova
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

What do you do for a job? (Music? Office? Collecting cans?)

Post by Castronova »

How do you pay the bills each month? Music or something else? It'll be interesting to see the poll results.

Personally, I'm too busy since leaving Japan to do a lot of DJing, and I'm still learning the ropes at production, so not much money there for me.

On Monday to Friday, I work as a "music consultant" for a small company, which basically means I sit on iTunes all day listening to cool music of all genres and decades. Clients sign yearly contracts and we have to produce a set of mix CDs (or update their iPod) for them each month. The most common clients are department stores who want hip music for the background of each of the sections of the store, but we also do the music for lots of fashion/social events or the occasional TV commercial. We're going to start producing original music soon too.

I also take nightlife photography for P1, which is like China's new Facebook/Myspace -- great because everytime I go out it's totally free, and with a camera in my hand I'm instantly everyone's friend. I also do magazine writing when a couple of the local magazines want something about music, and when I'm unemployed, I sell ecstasy to naive pre-teens for a 300% profit. Just kidding.
blockup

Post by blockup »

:roll:
Taylor Norris
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Taylor Norris »

I work a 9-5 about 2 miles from my house at The Mower Shop selling parts and equipment. Most of the time I just stand around holding up the counter and hangin out on the intranets. Descent pay, close to home, flexible schedule allowing me to take off for shows, cool boss, and I work with two friends Ive had since middle school.
JayBliss
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by JayBliss »

100% music
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i don't have a job :-sadflower
isa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by isa »

JayBliss wrote:100% music
100% flight attendant :P
luke78
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by luke78 »

Its a good thing I'm good at web design, as my music production sucks :D
blockup

Post by blockup »

luke78 wrote:Its a good thing I'm good at web design, as my music production sucks :D
prove it