czech vinyl plant

- ask away
sologroove
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

czech vinyl plant

Post by sologroove »

hallo guys,
does anybody have heard or coworked with these?

http://www.gzvinyl.cz/en/vinyl/

..any reccomendations or attention?
i'm curious about the tech. and sound quality of pressed vinyls,not about prices, or distribution..

cheers
Last edited by sologroove on Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

i can't see any prices on their website which is rather shitty for a start

i was interested because the CZ crown is rather strong at the moment. you might be interested in that - depends which currency you have.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

I know that quite a lot of the German distributors won't do the vinyls if they are pressed in CZ, so you should check with your distro first I guess...

I have heard quite a lot of bad things about the quality from CZ pressing plants.
sologroove
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by sologroove »

patrick bateman wrote: I have heard quite a lot of bad things about the quality from CZ pressing plants.
..exactly..i'm interested about these "bad things about the quality "...
viva hate
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by viva hate »

My first LP got pressed at GZ. They put the A side sticker on both sides and refused to press new copies, even though the fault was totally theirs.
This was like ten years ago though.

My friends at iDEAL pressed a CD which were supposed to have no silence between the tracks. When it got back from GZ the CD had the standard 2 second pause between every track, which frankly made the CD worthless.
It was suppose to have different tracks for different parts in the music and a lot of parts of the album is like six seconds long. So every six second you get a pause for two seconds etc. Totally annoying.
Here's the track list btw: http://www.discogs.com/release/557471
Imagine listening to that album with a 2 second pause between the tracks...
Of course GZ refused to press it again...

I googled quickly and found quotes like this:

"AVOID AT ALL COSTS: GZ DIGITAL MEDIA!
(December 22, 2005 C.E.)

Seing as how the pressing plant not only failed to sufficiently compensate our label Carnal Records for the misprinted CDs, but also once again fucked up when attempting to "compensate" (i.e. pay back a ridiculously small amount of money for the screw up on the "fck the Universe" initial pressing), we will now urge everyone involved in the black metal scene to take their business away from the worthless piece of sh!t company GZ Digital Media. We know that a surprising amount of European labels use this worthless pressing plant in their CD/LP production, and I am sure we are not the only ones who have been screwed over. We will, from now on, never work with any labels that are in business with GZ Digital Media."

"The bad news is that the geniuses at GZ (our pressing plant) only shipped us the B color set."

"Worse, the vinyl is from the (thankfully brief) period when Rev used GZ to press its records, and is consequently a cheap, nasty looking plastic."

"the test pressings we got from gz were terrible and they refused to recut"

"Even though a lot of people use GZ I can't recommend them due to issues I have had even with using a us agent to act as the middleman."

I also found some people who said they're ok too, of course.
ErellRanson
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ErellRanson »

I heard the same things, good and bad. But in majority bad things :?
long gone the rendez vous, it's a timing tragedy

www.myspace.com/erellranson
www.myspace.com/msrecordings
myself recordings/aw recordings/code316 recordings/
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

in my opinion, don't be a cheap ass when it comes to mastering/cut and pressing.
Go for MPO in France, Pallas or Rand in Germany. That's good quality.
kwality
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kwality »

I'm gonna echo all the bad feedback. These guys used to be famous for pressing '200' and actually doing about 500. They were also renowned for doing bootlegs.

Don't skimp on vinyl, it's not like even the 'cheap' stuff is cheap, so it's just not worth it.