low level digital musical systems thread..max reaktor PD etc

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

low level digital musical systems thread..max reaktor PD etc

Post by oblioblioblio »

So, all these programs are very exciting and the realms of possibilites for musical application are really unbelieveable, but unfortunately for a simple musician like me they can be pretty tough on the brain.

Obviously there are plenty of resources on various forums about them but I thought it would be cool to have a little home here for more techno related stuff... patches, solutions to problems and general collective helping hands.

Here's some stuff that I've found useful so far...

CNMAT archives thse guys are legends... really forward thinking university department and have made public pretty much all of their teaching resources... notes to lectures and accompanying patches, a very in depth guide to Open Sound Control. all very helpful.

Peter Elsea Max tutorials Does what is says on the tin. A lot of crossover with the native max stuff, but having a different perspective I found pretty helpful. cheers Pete!

Miller Puckette's book the Theory and Techniques of Electronic Music. another massively helpful resource here. this guy was heavily involved in the creation of Max and MSP, and his free offshoot Pure Data. This (free!) book covers lots of ground in using these programs, from the simple to the complex. And every chapter has plenty of exmaples you can copy straight off (they're pure data but very easily translated into max). lovely stuff!
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

ooh, i forgot about this site: http://obiwannabe.co.uk/

it's focussed on sound design for computer games, but is equally useful for musical usages.

check out the synthesis tutorials (pure data but pretty much interchangeable w/ max)

and also the synths (pure data too)
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

fck yeah!!!
i love u :)

had all these bookmarked though :p

sticky.
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

good call !
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

sorry delete, didnt realise it was posted already
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

oblioblioblio wrote:ooh, i forgot about this site: http://obiwannabe.co.uk/

it's focussed on sound design for computer games, but is equally useful for musical usages.

check out the synthesis tutorials (pure data but pretty much interchangeable w/ max)

and also the synths (pure data too)
I only just noticed that particular link - great find !
minim
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by minim »

minim
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by minim »

I forgot to mention, if you dig around on Google you can find thesis and research papers that are specific the Pure Data. Takes some digging but there are quite a few out there in the wild awaiting the hunt. I will dig around on my hard drive when I have access to them and zip some up.