[nooB] sysex

- ask away
dubgil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

[nooB] sysex

Post by dubgil »

Ok
I've owned studio gear off and on through the years, but never used them much outside of a sequencer trigger notes on a synth. I often see mnml members post questions about sysex. Now I know what sysex stands for. My question is what would I ever need to use it for? I've never run into a need for it but then in the past I didn't get too deep in my machines other than turning them on and turning a noble. In what context would I expect to run into the need for sysex.

I appreciate your responses
dubgil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil »

31 views and not one person can tell me what sysex is for? hmm...
cinch
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by cinch »

^^^i think that means that you won't need to use them to often. ^^^

Google is great for these types of questions, but......

the way I see it is that SYSEX is a midi protocol for data transfer over MIDI. Its a way to send larger chunks of information from one place (say a synth) to another (like your sequencer.)

Quite often SYSEX is used to save Patch information from a particular synth into your session file in your sequencer of choice. Although, these days you don't end up using it too often since most modern synths can store patch information by themselves.

Sysex is also used (believe it or not) to transfer audio samples. YES! this is true, you can send audio (albeit not live) through a midi cable. A lot of older samplers (aren't all hardware samplers "old" now???) would use SYSEX messages to "dump" samples back and forth between your computer and the sampler.

Hope this is what you're looking for.

PS SYSEX messages have VERY little to do with actually making music, so don't worry about it so much.

;-)
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

You wont use these days. you have midi learn and ways to save pathces from the instrument and everything else.
youll need it only to use a very old plugin, direct x and maybe AU (never used this format).
dubgil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil »

thank you for your short easy to understand responses. Very close to what I was thinking.