i don't think i belong here...

- ask away
msfilter
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

i don't think i belong here...

Post by msfilter »

hey.
I'm thinking of releasing some tunes, but i have no idea who to send demos to because i have absolutely no idea what genre of music i am making. This is making it hard to track down labels that are releasing similar songs.
If you kind people could please listen to some of my music (ignore the wafer thin song) and let me know that would be great!
www.myspace.com/msfilter

By the way, this is not just a desperate attempt to get you to listen to my music (maybe a little).
thanks alot!
andy
mrgreynoise

Post by mrgreynoise »

Hi msfilter,

I remember being in that position. In my experience, I found that it was absolutely necessary to do my homework. In this case, that would mean do your research, listen to dozens, hundreds of labels and find where you fit.

I've found that trying to figure out everything *I* can do before asking anybody else for help/advice, has been the best thing.

Have you really done everything YOU could before posting?

Good luck, your destiny is in your own hands.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

mrgreynoise wrote:Hi msfilter,

I remember being in that position. In my experience, I found that it was absolutely necessary to do my homework. In this case, that would mean do your research, listen to dozens, hundreds of labels and find where you fit.

I've found that trying to figure out everything *I* can do before asking anybody else for help/advice, has been the best thing.

Have you really done everything YOU could before posting?

Good luck, your destiny is in your own hands.

when i read that its was in the voice of HAL...
Red Kite
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Red Kite »

Try electro house / tech house labels. Can't tell you which ones, cause I don't really care for that kind of music. Best just browse those to categories on beatport until you find a label some labels that suit you and try to contact them. It's solid productions from what I can tell and I think you will be able to get your stuff released. Good luck!
"In my life I widened a lot of holes!" (Jeff Milligan, talking about slipmats)
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

msfilter
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by msfilter »

thanks everyone!
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

I have the same problem. Alot of my tracks are a hybrid of minimal techno,tech house and progressive. I use alot of elements from different genres.

I get alot of submissions that say great track but its too minimal or too proggy or too housey. There are some decent labels that will take anything that sounds good though as long ass it is under the realm of house or techno.

I have found Jesse at Reticent Recordings will sign anything from proggy trance to minimal or even breakbeats sometimes. You could send him a demo.

Baroque likes to mix between proggy and techhouse sounds as well. They have a few sublabels for different sounds too. Kieth is the manager you would send demos too over there.

Both of these labels will ussually listen to links as long as they are not yousendit or whatnot. Direct link is helpfull

Baroque is much more picky than reticent though.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

hi mate,
i checked out your myspace, i can see your problem, it's getting harder and harder to define genres now, which is probably a good thing.
your music is well produced, and you shouldnt have any problem getting it released.
i wouldnt call it minimal though, it's got an 'early' european electronica sound about it, but i couldnt say which labels might be interested, you've just got to do some deep research.
even finding the right type of label is only a starting point.
i'm sent lots of material that people think would fit on my label, but it only takes one sound i dont like in a track for me to lose interest, even with my own tunes. sometimes i write stuff that i know wont fit on my own label, and i have to wait till someone else picks it up.
its not easy mate, you've just got to keep plugging away.

peace and good luck.